What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Today's Front Page - IFR Enroute Symbol

krw5927

Well Known Member
I noticed this symbol while following along on Foreflight one day on an airliner and, like Doug, wondered what it meant.

The answer was found on page 62 of the Aeronautical Chart User's Guide here:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf

It means "unusuable route". Not sure why there would be an unusable route published, but seems there's a few of them.

More importantly, I learned a few other things I didn't previously know about charts just from scanning the guide. Not a bad review for those who haven't done it recently.

Read the legend

It's also on the legend of the chart, as almost everything charted is. Study the sides of the charts for the answers! 😉 J.B.

It's on the legend of the chart ... study the sides of the charts for the answers

I find this to be one of the biggest challenges to EFBs. All of the important information than is printed on paper charts - but not within the main field of the chart - is either missing or much more difficult to locate.

Some Apps have included this information "somewhere" for "some charts" but it is a place for improvement.

I'm not suggesting I have a good answer but from a safety perspective, it is ripe for investigation.

I'm interested in what other EFB users do to keep this information available - personal tricks, EFBs that include easy access to sublime y'all information and legends, etc.

I'm interested in what other EFB users do to keep this information available - personal tricks, EFBs that include easy access to sublime y'all information and legends, etc.

With ForeFlight it is easy to download FAA documents like:
IFR Low Legend
VFR Chart Legend
Aeronautical Chart Users Guide

The Legend docs are the same thing you would see on the paper chart. Once they're downloaded you just tap "Documents" and then the document you want and it opens up. I like it because I can "blow it up" so it's easy for my old eyes to see. I also keep the AIM on my iPad mini for reference.

Back