What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Install Pictures

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Anyone have any good pictures of the back of a Lycoming engine with all of the plumbing hooked up? I have the books by tony Bingelis, and they are great, but I do have some questions regarding getting the whole oil system installed. I have a freshly overhauled engine, but I'm staring at the back ports where various oil lines go and I'm scratching my head. If anyone has a step by step process, great, otherwise just some pictures of the back of the engine would be useful.

Thanks,

Rick

You need the Lycoming Operator's Manual. It has rear view pictures of the accessary cover showing the various hook-ups.

been there done that

I was in your EXACT position 6mo ago. There's an online source for those pictures. I probably posted them. I'll do some research and follow up.

-Bruce

pics attached along with description

Rick RV-4 said:
Anyone have any good pictures of the back of a Lycoming engine with all of the plumbing hooked up?
Rick

Pls click on the attached photo of my Superior O-360 (see below).
#1 IS THE BREATHER
#2 TACH DRIVE (Spruce and others sell a cover if you're not going to use it)
#3 THERE IS A BRASS PLUG WITH COPPER SEAL
#4 IS THE OIL RETURN LINE FROM THE OIL COOLER . USE #8 AN FITTINGS

Below the mag/oil filt is the other oil cooler line. My expert friend says that a 90% elbow creates the same amt of restriction as another foot of tubing. In other words, gentle turns are better.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mrnomad57/hole-id.jpg

Lemme know if this helps.

Thanks!

Mr Nomad,

Thanks - that was what I was looking for. I also ordered the Lycoming Engine Manual as suggested before.

I appreciate the help!

Rick

Can't get any better, EH?

Rick RV-4 said:
Mr Nomad,

Thanks - that was what I was looking for. I also ordered the Lycoming Engine Manual as suggested before. I appreciate the help! Rick

Out of fear of death and dismemberment, I had to shut down the RV9A project and do some Honey-Doos around the house but Her Majesty allowed me 10 minutes to send the photo of the Lycoming eng to relieve pain and suffering of someone else.

The Goddess Rules but she promised today is the last day of household servitude till the RV is done!

:)

Back