What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical system Cad

rlo1

Well Known Member
I would like to start roughing our my electrical system on CAD. I have Visio and it probably will be OK.

Anything better out there with aircraft symbols/templates already in place????

Thank you
-Ron

Last edited:
Visio

Ron,

Visio seems to work well for me. I was using 2003 and have upgraded to 07 and the diagrams look fairly good.

Jim

visio

Did you use blocks for relays, alternators, starters etc...? or did you draw them up yourself? I did not see any shapes that looked right.

aeroelectric publishes all of their drawings and symbols as .dwg files that are available. That is where I started.
I say symbols, because they aren't defined as blocks in their stuff. A good start anyway.

Check Your E-mail

Ron, Dropped you a copy of what I did See if it might help you get started.

Let me know if you have any questions.

TurboCAD

Ron ... I like TurboCAD.

It's a full drawing package, and you can by older, legal versions on e-bay for $10 or so.

It will read and write in AutoCAD format (the .dwg files) and can read the files that AeroElectric Bob has on his web site.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS

Just take all of the AeroeEectric pages, and edit to suit your plane... he has done all of the symbols and most of the layout you need.

Just search e-bay for "turbocad", I think version 9.x is the current cheap one. It will do all you need, and advanced stuff you don't need such as 3D drawing/rendering.... :)

gil in Tucson

If you want to use a simple yet flexible system designed for electrical design, go to the following page and follow the links for both the editor and a library (that's easy to update). There is also a complete schematic for an RV that you can modify.

Vern Little

Vx Aviation

Thank you all. Pete Howell sent me an awesome file. I have owned Visio for some time and I was hoping to get something for that.

These forums are awesome.

-Ron

Vern

Help....I have tried to install the symbols after loading up the program...unzip...try to load file (symbol) to a ExpressSCH worksheet with no luck. As you can tell I am computer challenged. Basically it says that it isn't a vaid .S file

TIA for any help

Frank @ sgu and slc wiring/fiberglassing 7A

Last edited:
fstringham7a said:
Vern

Help....I have tried to install the symbols after loading up the program...unzip...try to load file (symbol) to a ExpressSCH worksheet with no luck. As you can tell I am computer challenged. Basically it says that it isn't a vaid .S file

TIA for any help

Frank @ sgu and slc wiring/fiberglassing 7A

Frank, after you've installed ExpressPCB/ExpressSCH, you can extract the symbol library to C:\Program Files\ExpressPCB\SchComponents_Custom.

If you installed ExpressPCB elsewhere, you can modify this as required.

Vern

Last edited:
Back