What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Out now or wait? Garmin Questions

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
ADS-B Out now or wait? Garmin Questions

I currently have a GTN650 and a GDL39 and Garmin Pilot App for ADSB-IN
I would now like ADSB-OUT capability. I was considering installing a GTX330-ES Transponder.

I notice I could save some money (about $1k) by purchasing a used GTX330 that was factory upgraded to "-ES". Is there any downfall to doing so? Is the 330 a bulletproof unit or does it need repairs from time to time?

My other question is if I wait two more years, will there be changes to ADS-B?
i.e. something crazy like ADS-B II+ is out now which offers more features over ADS-B, but you must buy all new quipment to utilize it's features.

Thanks for any input,
Jeff

I think you can save some money by buying a Trig mode S-ES transponder. Either the TT-22 or the TT-31 will read the 'ADSB+' output from your GTN.
As a plus, they are not as long (deep) as the 330. This might save you from having to cut a hole in the sub-panel.

The330 is a great transponder and is easy to use. It doesn't get any easier than having all the numbers available all the time on the panel with nothing else except the numbers to press to enter a code.

Back