What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When did you get your fuselage pre-cover inspection done?

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm well into my slow build fuselage (starting on the seats this week) and starting to look at the Canadian pre-cover inspection requirement. I know that they need to be able to see all of the shop heads, so I've made all of my floor and side panels removable. I'm just curious how far builders went before getting the inspection done. Should I have my top skins riveted on? I'm holding off on that as long as I can. Do I need to get into the finish kit first - canopy?

I'll do both the empennage and fuselage inspections at the same time - no requirement for the QB wings to get inspected. I obviously won't be able to fit the empennage until after the inspection.

I'm well into my slow build fuselage (starting on the seats this week) and starting to look at the Canadian pre-cover inspection requirement. I know that they need to be able to see all of the shop heads, so I've made all of my floor and side panels removable. I'm just curious how far builders went before getting the inspection done. Should I have my top skins riveted on? I'm holding off on that as long as I can. Do I need to get into the finish kit first - canopy?

I'll do both the empennage and fuselage inspections at the same time - no requirement for the QB wings to get inspected. I obviously won't be able to fit the empennage until after the inspection.

Hi Claude

I had my top skin riveted on when I had my pre-cover inspection done, as did a lot of local builders. Then we got a new inspector who didn't like that and insisted that the top skins be left off. I think in this case you had better contact MD-RA, find out who the inspector will be and give him/her a call and ask what they want. A local guy here had to remove the top skin for his inspection...

I note that you say there is no need for an inspection on the QB wings. What makes you think that? EVERYTHING needs to be inspected as far as I know, and that would include any QB parts. However, i could be wrong. Another question for the inspector.

Cheers

Last edited:
My inspector didn't want to crawl on the rear fuselage to inspect the rivets, so I don't put the top skin....

Fuselage pre cover

I think this depends on the inspector. Mine told me the only areas that require a pre cover inspection on the fuselage are the seat floors and baggage compartment floors. Since I'm making these removable I don't believe there is a need for a pre cover fuselage inspection on mine. I was informed that the only other inspection needed was the final inspection

I note that you say there is no need for an inspection on the QB wings. What makes you think that? EVERYTHING needs to be inspected as far as I know, and that would include any QB parts. However, i could be wrong. Another question for the inspector.

Cheers

Here is an excerpt from the MD-RA's FAQ.

My Quick Build kit has some parts closed at the factory. Is this acceptable?

Yes, parts closed at the factory by the kit supplier and indicated as such on the kit parts list are not subject to pre-cover inspection.

I read this to say the wings don't need to be inspected, at the very least they don't need it opened up. I haven't closed up anything more on the wings than how it came from the factory, so it wouldn't be my work they're inspecting anyway. I did note the quick build wings on my letter of intent.

Last edited:
pre-close QB structures

The QB wing structure as supplied by Vans are OK (without disassembling) but all the additional work you do to the wings up to and prior to riveting that last skin is what the inspectors want to see. They still have to do the normal Pre-Cover inspection.

I have heard of different inspectos asking for very different things. Call your inspector and get an understanding of exactly what he wants so you don't get a bad surprise.

I did my precover a few months back so I know it is nerve wracking.

Thanks for all of the replies. I checked with the regional MD-RA rep and he clarified it for me, echoing much of what you've all said.

QB wings - still need pre-cover inspection, they'll accept the quick built portions but want to see wiring, servos and plumbing before the last skin goes on. I guess I'll have to decide on lighting and auto-pilot soon.

Fuselage - I should rivet the top skins, no need to do anything from the finish kit. Wiring will be checked at final inspection. Terry, he told me pre-cover is required, even if you have removable floors.

Back