What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin BackPlates

JimP

Is there any easy way to install the backplates for the Garmin boxes. I've temp installed teh backplates for the SL-30 and 480, but they are a real pain. I'm suspecting that the reall trick is to just install these while the trays are out of the rack just prior to final assembly. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Jim

This was an area we've fought over for years.....we have every size and shape of small & large screwdrivers you can imagine. l we've done the "superglue" on the end of the screw thing, dab of silicone, etc..

So, after years of goofing around, one of my super smart technicnians (who also happens to be a heck of a machinist) basically "made" us some special #1 extended Philips screwdrivers that are 18" long with springloaded holders on the tip. They hold those tiny #4 screws just perfectly when you're putting them in.

Anyway here's a shot of one of the tips holding a typical #4 c/s screw for the Garmin type trays.

drvs.jpg

Cheers,
Stein.

P.S., if you want one we'll sell you one...but they're not overly cheap!

Man would that work

Hey Stein, that looks pretty cool but I'm not sure what my price-point pain is. I did manage to get about 2-3 per unit in, but I think this get harder. Dave's comments on the expletives tends to work at times though. At least my wife then knows what I'm up to in the shop.

Jim P said:
Hey Stein, that looks pretty cool but I'm not sure what my price-point pain is. I did manage to get about 2-3 per unit in, but I think this get harder. Dave's comments on the expletives tends to work at times though. At least my wife then knows what I'm up to in the shop.

That definately works....often times you'll hear in my shop similar types of comments. It seems that loud swearing and the occasional throwing of a screw or banging a tool on the bench helps as well.

I'll say one thing, it's MUCH easier on the bench than in a finished plane. Without that little holder screwdriver of our working in a finished stack just sucks!

Cheers,
Stein.

Back