What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying other LSA

the_other_dougreeves

Well Known Member
Slightly off topic, but I'm going to getting some tailwheel transition time this week in the Savage Cub, a Czech-build clone of the clipped-wing Cub with a 912S. Hopefully I will learn fast enough to get my endorsement in two days. I'll also get to fly a 2005 CTSW to see how to compares to the 2006.

I'll also be in Portland late in the week. I'd love to say that I'm headed to Van's to go fly the RV-12, but somehow I suspect they won't lend me the keys. ;) However, I'd be really interested to see how they've done certain parts of the engine install vs other 912S installs I've seen.

Quick PIREP: Evektor SportStar

Got to fly the Evektor SportStar today back-to-back with the CT. Aviator Air at GPM has 676EV(?), a 2006 version. The airplane has the 32 gal (total) wing tanks of the SportStar II plus some other running improvements.

The airplane has the amazing visibility that I remember - nose is low on the horizon and the canopy offers views through about 300 deg. Being winter, too much sun wasn't a problem. There were few drafts.

Handling qualities are good. Elevator forces were lighter than I like, with not a lot of stick pressure required to pitch up or down. There just wasn't a lot of feedback in the stick. Perhaps this is due to a half-span anti-servo tab. Roll requires more force than pitch, but is still on the lighter side.

The Rotax is still as quiet and smooth as ever. Carb heat actually causes a drop in RPM, which suggests that it works well.

Full throttle yielded about 110 kt on an ISA-10F day, 2000' DA. Climb rate at 70kt was about 900 fpm about 100 lb short of gross.

Exciting news about the SportStar is that Evektor is granting a MGTW increase for all existing and new aircraft from 1212 lb to 1265 lb (550 kg to 575 kg). This will increase typical equipped useful load to nearly 600 lb.

When I got back into the CT, I missed the upward visibility of the Evektor and was amazed at the speed of the CT - nearly 130kt today.

If you're curious as to what the RV-12 will fly like, I'd give the Evektor a try. I'm guessing they will be more silimar than different.

Back