What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DFW, TX BC Squadron Fly-Out Saturday 23rd

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Saturday April 23, 2005

Gastons Airport (Lakeview, Arkansas) 3M0
Be in air (DFW area) at 0730 and check in on freq on 122.75.
Come back same day. Yellowbird says beautiful this time of year.

303n.m. from 52F (1.5hr trip)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/3m0

Gastons Trip

Sure wish I had known about this one earlier.
We've already got a group from Hicks going to College Station for a short drive over to Snook. Gastons would have been a whole lot more fun!

I'm going to drive over to Gastons Saturday morning. It will be nice to put a face to the names of the folks that answer all my building questions. Save me some breakfast. I'm trying to talk a friend (Larry Coatney RV-6) to fly me over. We'll see how bad he wants a free meal. ;)

The brake pedal guy.
Jim Wright RV-9A wings 90919 Arkansas 1 hour (driving)from Gastons.

An Alternative

Sounds as if you have planned a great trip. There is an alternative.

Friday - Saturday, Apr 22-23, 2005 ? Pineville, LA. EAA Chapter 614 Spring Fly-In/Campout - (http://www.eaa614.org), Pineville Municipal Airport (2L0) Part of 2005 Louisiana Fly-In Series. Largest Fly-In in Louisiana. Amphib and floatplanes can use Lake Beulow. Camping facilites available. Contact: Nick Nicewarner 318-640-1674, Email: [email protected]

I understand they are planning a pig roast and music for Saturday night. I plan to be there.

Gaston's is a great trip any time of year. The only time better than Saturday would be if all could make the trip for the Sunday Brunch for which Gastons is well known.
Better yet, have an RV gathering there one week-end, spend the day trout fishing or just visiting other RV owners/builders, spend the night there and depart after brunch Sunday.
Gaston's has small cottages and some larger cabins for groups. Perhaps Jim Gaston (owner and pilot) might allow overnight camping if there is any interest.
The resturant is open year round and there is a pool for lodging guests.

Jim Lane
Wynne, AR

DFW,TX BC Squadron Fly-Out

I really want to go on that one, but have a Cub Scout campout starting at 1:00. Hmmm, I may just have to test this theory about RVs shrinking the country.

The winds are supposed to be pretty brisk out of the NW tomorrow but usually the winds calm down a lot when you get close to the runway as it is way down in the valley and protected by hills.
Jim RV-9A wings 90919 Arkansas

Gaston

Whish I had known about this sooner. The Wichita KS group already planned Enid OK for breakfast. Gaston sounds like more fun, besides we could have had fun telling Texan jokes
Casper 2

Casper? Jokes?

i'm from Baja Oklahoma.!!!!!
Hope the WX is a go,,.?
I wish you could be there. Nothing funner than a Texan WITH a foot in his mouth
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Did some of you go to Gastons today? I had to work and didn't drive over. I wondered if the wind was a little much. I really blew here today. It was chilly also. Tomorrow is supposed to be much better as far as the wind. Maybe next time I'll get to see you in person.

Jim Wright

Gastons Saturday, 23rd 2005

Hi All,
Yellowbird and Jaybird went.
We met Jim and Diane, RV8 from Tennessee.
The wind WAS too much for me. I made it.?..But. Sometimes I wish I was more of a couch potato???? Chess any one???
Don and I had a not so good lunch, poor service, and marginal food. Beautiful place, very interesting dining room.Lots of antiques hanging every where. [We probaly had a new watriess] [ and/or a new cook.] Do not let this disuade you from going. It is worth a bad meal...........just to be there and look around.
After lunch we decided to fly to Petit Jean State Park airport and hike the trails. Great fun if you can walk up and down elevation. I love this kind of activity so I was in my element.
With the sorry WX in the last 4 months. I have forgotten how to land and made safe, but in my mind, three crash landings that day. Practice every one.
Wish more of you readers could have made it. It was worth it!!!
Cheers
Jay

I always eat breakfast at Gastons and order the Fishermans breakfast. It's a lot of food and always great. I've never had lunch there but maybe it was like you said and just one of those days. I hope you folks come back again and maybe the weather will be better.

Jim Wright

quadrennial trip?

Anyone want to make another trip? This one was was 4 years ago... how about Saturday, April 25th, 2009?

Gaston's Quad trip

I'd love to go but I have a committment on Saturday.
Herding (very good description) a group of middle school kids at the state science olympiad competition at Texas A&M.

Any other time, yes, I'd love to go.

Back