What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Locking an RV slider canopy

Rick_Luck

While looking for something else in the Vans catalogue I noticed they offer a lock for securing a plane with a sliding canopy. Unfortunately, it sells for something like $110. Anyhow, it gave me the idea to make one using a canopy rear slider block (C-661).

What I'm thinking of, is using the same principle as Van's lock, consisting of a small plunger which extends down through a hole drilled in the center of the the slider block into a dimple in the track. Then there would have to be a sliding member to cover the top of the plunger so that it couldn't come up out of the dimple. That sliding member would be captured at both ends protruding through the upper tabs of the slider block and then a small pad lock inserted through the slider so that it couldn't be removed. The end of sliding member opposite the lock would be expanded or pinned so that it also couldn't be removed.

Has anyone else tried building a lock for their slider canopy or have a source for a little more economical locking mechanism? Also, since the rear slider block is plastic, it might be better to replicate it out of aluminum. I might try a sample one out of a slider block just to see how it works in principle though and who knows, if it looks like metal, it may work just fine to deter anyone thinking about trying to access the canopy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Buy one, get two free

Rick_Luck said:
While looking for something else in the Vans catalogue I noticed they offer a lock for securing a plane with a sliding canopy. Unfortunately, it sells for something like $110........or have a source for a little more economical locking mechanism?....
Rick, The ignition switch that Van (and others) sell comes with a couple of locks. Many RV'ers use one as a canopy lock. By cutting an additional slot, you can lock the canopy in a slightly open position for ventilation while parked in the hot sun. http://tinyurl.com/yyggkz

skirtdetail03edited20pgvb8.jpg

Canopy Cover Works for Me

I have the lock Rick mentioned above and it looks like it will work very well but decided not to install it - individual choice - not right or wrong. I agree very strongly that you have to protect your investment but decided that the the canopy cover from Bruce's Custom Covers would do what I wanted to do. It has worked out just fine for 2.5 years. If the interested party has enough of whatever it takes to remove the cover, I can imagine the cry if anguish "STEAM GAGES - ARGH!" followed by a rapid departure. With some of the new avionic hardware going into RVs you may want much more security but the canopy cover is indispensible in my opinion no matter how far you go with this.

Caution - Be sure the lock can't get frozen and keep you out of your own plane. We are having a little freezing drizzle here today and and locks and such are becoming immovable.

Bob Axsom

Question on using Van's lock

So I looked at Van's lock and the picture you posted. I don't understand and couldn't tell by the picture if you've mounted the lock permanently on the side of your fuselage, up by the windshield and left the metal unpainted, or the lock and metal backing is removable and is somehow just inserted when you want to lock the plane. Could you give me a little more information on using a small lock like Vans supplies?

Rick, Here is a slightly different perspective. You drill a hole through the canopy sideskirt at your preferred location to accept the lock mechanism. You may want to locate it forward like I did or further aft. That is entirely up to you. Directly below the lock location you have chosen....with the canopy in the closed and locked position.......a slot is cut into the side rail to accept the lock lever arm, which will swing down from the (open) horizontal position and into the slot when the key is turned to lock the canopy.
skirtdetail0520yy1.jpg

Will a lock really stop them?

I used to drive a convertible and never locked the doors. The lock are just to keep honest people honest.

I have a feeling that a lock on an RV canopy is pretty much the same thing. If someone really wants the $30K (or more) worth of avionics in many RVs, all they have to do is break the canopy. They are already committing a federal offense, what difference does the canopy make?

Karl (using a canopy cover to protect my $10k steam panel and keeping my fingers crossed) :cool:

Low hanging fruit gets stolen first

Please let me know where the unlocked convertible is parked. Hahaha

Locks keep more than some thieves away. They keep the occasional jerk with a stupid idea at bay. Locks also help when you file the insurance company claim for stolen items. I can only imagine the response to a claim for missing avionics in an unlocked airplane. Expect to hear:

Whaaaa? No lock? Hmmmmm, let's see if escape clause 101, contributory negligence, applies here.

Most important, the lock will keep my brother-in-law outta the airplane till he's licensed & I approve.

Last edited:
Rick,

Thanks for posting the enhanced picture. This is exactly what I will do. While at Home AircraftDepot last night, I happend through the lock isle. They sell all different types of cylinder locks with different shapped arms and all were less than $10.

At my flying club meeting last week a security camera picture was passed around of a man that opened a some unlocked airplanes and was moving all of the switches and dials around including moving landing gear levers to the up position. The call at my airport has gone out to everyone to keep their airplanes locked.

The canopy cover is also a good deterent. The earlier posted point made that if something does happen the insurance company may not be so willing to pay a claim could also be an issue.

Yep, if they want it they can have it

RV8N said:
I used to drive a convertible and never locked the doors. The lock are just to keep honest people honest.
True story. In fact the harder you make it the more likely they will do major damage getting at your panel. One news show like 20/20 made a big deal about how U-Tube has lock picking videos. I looked them up, WOW, thanks 20/20 for pointing it out to all the amateur thief's. Locks, especially the ones we have are a joke.

My solution is to have a cheap panel. As far as stealing the whole plane, worse case nightmare, I guess throttle locks, prop locks and hidden switches and valves to kill electric and fuel. Still based on the videos I saw, locks are a joke.

Back