What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fly off period for engine prop combo?

JCN247DE

Well Known Member
Hi group,

I have an aerosport power O-360 and Hartzell prop combo on my 7A. Any way of getting around the 40 hr fly-off period with this combo?

The feds are telling me if it ain't lycoming or continental... it's 40! The aerosport engine is built up with Superior components.

Thanks,

Jeff

JCN247DE said:
I have an aerosport power O-360 and Hartzell prop combo on my 7A. Any way of getting around the 40 hr fly-off period with this combo?

The feds are telling me if it ain't lycoming or continental... it's 40! The aerosport engine is built up with Superior components. Thanks, Jeff

Unless you can point the Feds (or AB-DAR) to a certificated plane flying the same Aerosport Power O-360 and Hartzell prop, it will be 40 hours :eek: Rosie

Rosie is right. The AeroSport O-360 is not a certificated engine.
Mel...DAR

What about...

A Lycoming with a non-certified prop? Such as the one I'll have on my Lycoming O-290 D2 powered RV-9.

It is my understanding this will put me into the 40 hour fly-off requirement as well. Not that I mind, it will give me 40 hours to learn how to fly the thing before the pressure is on to give rides to family, friends, and other builders.

Last edited:
To qualify for a 25 hour fly-off 1/ the engine must be certificated, 2/ the propeller must be certificated, and 3/ the engine/propeller combination must be certificated. Anything other than that gets you a minimum of 40 hours. Also any aftermarket mods such as electronic ignitions and fuel injection systems not certified with your particular combination will not get the 25 hours.
Mel...DAR

Back