What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 panel

dan carley

Well Known Member
i'm going to redo my panel in the rv-4, i did not build the plane. if i order another panel from van's how does it come? is it already cut and curved to shape or do you have to make the shape your self.

does any one have a photo of how the panel comes in the kit?

thanks
danny
rv-4
N2275s

Joe's description is correct. I happen to have a blank panel that I'm going to start work on soon. I could snap a pic of it this weekend.

Panel of experts...

Hi Dan,

I used a piece of 1/8" aluminum cut to fit the fuselage for my panel. Cut the holes myself and it's darn near structural once installed. I like it alot better than the Van's panel or others I have seen. Very strong and no rear supports needed. Also supports the nutplates for the avionics cover very well. There is a pic of my panel on the homepage, several days ago...

Your call...

RR

Salvaged Parts

Smokeyray, I saw the photo of your panel on the site yesterday, and was surprised to see my stick grip...am I correct in recognizing it as a grip from a Bell Jet Ranger. The one I have is identical and thats where mine came from. I use the front button for the push to talk, and don't have the back one that was the intercom button hooked up. Did you use it for anything?

Get on the stick...

Actually, I salvaged it out of a Bird Dog I used to tow gliders with. Being a big fan of the Ravens (not the football team) I had to have some FAC memorabilia somewhere. I have an F16 map light installed as well(fell off the truck).
I have seen the same exact grip in several airplanes and Helos. Our F16 simulator has one on the command joy stick for the sim operator...guess it got alot of use!

Seeya!

RR

Hello all. So I am new to this forum and still in the planning stages of an RV. I would like to be able to plan out my panel so I have an idea of everything that I am going to be needing before I start. I was wondering if anyone knew of a CAD drawing or a simalar that I can use to lay out the panel. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hard to go wrong with Bill Von Dane's epanel builder. There is a free version that let's you play around. The pay for it version let's you save you panel and export so you can send to your favorite cutting shop or just print out the dimensions so you can cut your own.

Go here: ePanel Builder

tried to log on to the epanel builder, but the web page was down or something, could not log on... does anyone have the dimensions... height, width, upper radius so that I could just draw it myself ?

RV4 Panel

Just do what I did. Pull out all the steam gages and sell them, yes there are people who want them. Then put in a Dynon and Garmin 296. They are nicer than I had in the 767 and 757 back when I worked for a living. Sorry for using that obseen 4 letter word (WORK). Roger Moore

On her majesty's secret service...

Good call on the Dynon and 296, although my 396 in my HR2 has paid for itself 5 times over with wx, tunes and TFR s.a.
For bang fo da buck I really like the Stratomaster Enigma, I have a MGL avionics alt, love it. Go to www.sportflyingshop.com take a look!

Rog, didn't you used to be a secret agent? :)
(I'm sure you've never heard that)
RR

That's the panel I opted for Dynon, 196 and eis4000 (to be installed). Trio autopilot to be installed on the left.

resized-img_1707.jpg

smokyray said:
Good call on the Dynon and 296, although my 396 in my HR2 has paid for itself 5 times over with wx, tunes and TFR s.a.
For bang fo da buck I really like the Stratomaster Enigma, I have a MGL avionics alt, love it. Go to www.sportflyingshop.com take a look!

Rog, didn't you used to be a secret agent? :)
(I'm sure you've never heard that)
RR

That enigma is interesting. When are you going to try it out and report back?
:D

Back