What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C 60 amp regulator

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
Okay, it was my fault. I blew my voltage regulator. It has part #12600-0430 but has been modified from "factory" config to some extent. One leg has been removed; I don't know if other modifications have been made or not. All I know is that when I took a new regulator and removed said leg, it doesn't work. Am I missing something or do I need to order a regulator from some "approved" source such as Van's?

Bob Kelly

You need to talk to B&C

A question like that is best asked of the manufacturer. Van's, Aircraft Spruce, etc. are not the people to call to get to the bottom of your problem. You must contact the manufacturer directly to talk to the engineers that support the products. This company in particular is extremely helpful in working through your problem. They are B&C Specialty Products, Inc. and they are located in Newton, Kansas. Their website is http://www.bandcspecialty.com. 316-283-8000 is their phone number.

I have a B&C 60 Amp voltage regulator on my plane and it failed after I had been flying for about two years. Of course I didn't know the regulator was the problem - I had a low voltage light just like I have gotten when an alternator wire breaks. I went through the Aircraft Spruce folks and of course they know nothing about the hardware. I wanted my problem fixed right away so after I talked to engineering there, I isolated the problem to the regulator. I removed it, drove a few hundred miles through the beautiful countryside of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas to the factory in Newton and bought a replacement.

When you call you should have part numbers written down as well as any voltage or continuity check results and the modification description.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
B&C followup

Thanks' Bob for the reply. As usual, you seem right on target. I, however, was pretty off base in my diagnosis. I bought the engine/FWF off a hurricane Chalie'd RV-6A. It had the alternator on it. The owner told me it all came from Van's, whcih I believe it did. It APPEARED to be an internally regulated 60 amp alternator, and I bought a plug for the "B" connector from Van's. Well, at one time Van's sold B&C alternators that are of course NOT internally regulated. I had wired it up without a regulator, thinking the reg was inside the unit. They look the same. I assumed I had blown a regulator, one which isn't even there! I have done my taxi testing with the alt switch off and recharging as needed.

Rewiring for a regulator isn't a big job, thankfully. Just got to get one. Will work on that tomorrow. While B&C is top-of-the-line, I would consider another brand as they are a bit pricy.

Hey, I'm not upset; I got a better alternator than I thought I had. That is a good thing. Just wish I understood electricals better. BTW, taxi testing has gone very well with no problems with the nose wheel, etc. I am about ready for the inspector.

Thanks again,

Bob Kelly

Back