What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 paint quantity

atreff

Well Known Member
Sorry to start a new thread on this, but the search engine does not come up with the info I'm needing. How much paint should I purchase to do the outside? I'm shooting PPG Concept single stage over PPG primer. It's a Nissan color, but I'd like to buy all the color at once to avoid any mismatch. Thanks.

Arthur

Will the whole plane be one color? Do you plan on two or three coats? You will need about 3 gallons total if you put three coats on, but split that up between the various colors you'll be using.

I just finished painting my RV-3 and used just under 2 gallons of white and exactly two quarts of red. This is in addition to 1.5 gallons of K38 filler/primer and one gallon of DX1791 self-etching primer.

I found that two coats provided full opacity but didn't necessarily fill all the rivets and once the paint dried some scratching in the fiberglass could show through. With three coats both problems were eliminated.

Full story...
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/Paint/paint.htm

depends on color

if using solids i would bet on randy's methods however some metallics take a load more.

When I paint an RV I buy two kits of base color if the fuselage and wings are the same color. In the paint I buy 1 kit equals 1 gallon of paint and 1 gallon of hardener. Not all of this is used. What is left over is saved for use in the future. For simple stripes I buy 1 quart of each color and the hardener needed. Reducer is also purchased but I buy that in bulk and can't say how much is used in a single job.

I used Imron for my paint. Here is the list of what I wound up using:

• 1 Gal of Kleine-Sol
  • 2 pints of Variprime and Converter
  • 1 Gal of Colar light gray primer with activator
  • 2 Gals of Imron (White) with activator
  • 1 Gal of Imron (Red) with activator
  • 1/3 of a Qt of Imron (Blue) with activator -> the smallest I could buy was a quart
  • 1 Gal of reducer, of which I used about a cup
  • a couple of gallons of laquer thinner
  • 1/2 a Qt of Acetone (for cleaning the fiberglass)
  • umpteen rolls of masking tape
  • 2/3 of a 1000' roll of masking paper
  • 3 rolls of 1/2" 3M Fineline tape
  • Scothbrite pads
  • tack cloths
Note: no etch or alodine. I scuffed the entire airplane (by hand!) with 320 wet paper, then wiped it all down with Kleine-Sol, then used Variprime, then Colar, then the paint.

Dunno if this helps.

Thanks guys!

Great gouge on painting qty, thanks for the responses. Since I"m shooting a sgl stage color, and stripes will be vinyl, somewhere between 2-3 gallons of color will do it. Even tho I'm using a std automotive color number, I'll buy all the gallons at once to make sure they will match. May as well bite the bullet and buy 3 gallons just to be sure. I may spill :eek: or have to re-do something, not to mention, trashing a wheel pant or something else inthe future.

thanks again,
Art
RV-8 Fastback.

Back