What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Bend, TX (where to camp?)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
In a previous thread Larry mentioned that Big Bend (west Texas) would be a great place to aircraft camp.

So, I'd like to try it.

Where are the recommended places to fly into using your RV for aircraft camping and/or hiking with great scenery.

b,
d

From the research that I have done so far, it looks like any camping "next to the airplane" will be done in desolate conditions, carry in your own water, don't expect a toilet, forget the electricity, and anywhere you want to go away from your plane will be strictly as far as you can walk...in the desert!

Sounds great to me - I'm in!! :D

Here is some research I did on Big Bend Ranch State Park - this is apparently a large tract of land that the state took over and designated as a State Park, but haven't done much with beyond that. There is a runway that is apparently in good shape, and wilderness campsites spread around. There is a lodge somewhere in the vicinity of the airstrip, and they told me on the phone that they could come and pick you up - but then you are still just going to be at the lodge, because you'd have no ground transport. I'd be happy to just camp and take day hikes centered on the airstrip. Good winter-time trip.

Park Web Site:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/big_bend_ranch/

Google Earth Image of the airstrip:

googleearthimagesa2.jpg

You now know what I know about this one....

Last edited:
Terlingua

You can fly into the dirt strip at Terlingua--decent and smooth and not be too far from a few resources, probably not plane side camping but with a little planning you could get one of the motel operators to pick you up or there is a jeep rental in Study Butte that also would probably come get you.

Terlingua ranch is another option but you will be well remote from jeep rental there.

Awesome flying, riding, hiking, drinking, stargazing area!!!!!!!!!

Or if you don't mind the costs, you can visit the Lajitas resort...pricey, but very nice.

Two other couples flew with us to Lajitas in a loose flight of 3. It was about 2 1/2 hrs from Austin.

Resort has its own airport, again very nice paved airport (7500x100)with pickup from the hotel included in the deal. It was $210 per night. We also rented a Suburban for $75 per day, 100 miles included.

If you can't flyin, they also have their own airline which will pick you up in Austin, Dallas for about $400 round trip.

We were able to see most of the area in two days, but 3 or 4 would have been nicer. We enjoyed the marvelous views, very interesting, if not spectacular geology and really good dining overlooking the Rio Grande.

You can check it out at:

http://www.lajitas.com/hometxt.html

Deene.

Lajitas

Lajitas is an interesting place, but as you say Deene, it's hardly camping!

And unfortunately, I have a bad taste in my mouth from a visit a few years back....my wife at the time had an older RV (four-wheeled kind) which served us quite well, but was no looker. We new nothing about the "town" of Lajitas when we rolled in, except that we were looking for a place to eat and spend the night. We drove into Lajitas after spending several nights camping up in the Chisos Basin (wonderful spot!), and were virtually sneered at and treated quite poorly at the campground - I guess because the "unit" we were driving didn't cost anywhere near what most of the people there had paid for their generators alone.

I'm pretty civilized, and considered by most to be polite, so it was extremely disquieting to essentially be treated like Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper were in Easy Rider when they rolled into that southern town. As a matter of fact, we frankly felt threatened, and got the heck out of dodge when we were told that the entire "town" was really a resort owned by a single company.

Memo to Lajitas Corporate...some of us have long memories, and I am not inclined to send any of my money your way... :mad:

Terlingua

Iron,

I was noodling around www.runwayfinder.com and Google Earth a bit ago and gotta say Terlingua looks semi-inviting. Slew Google Earth around to show the relief and look at the varied geology within day-hike distance. From what I can tell it's the closest vertical rock next to a runway. Can we hike up the Christmas Mountains (5,699')? At least it's public and we can carry a LOT of water and food when the RV is converted to cargo mode (pax seat and cushions out).

Big Bend State Park OK too (PVT) but I bet we could get permission.

I hope L.Pardue can chime in with some suggestions sometime - I bet he knows the area better than we ever will. There is what appears to me a dormant volcano inside Mexico a little east of the Chisos Mtns. Too bad...that would be cool to fly around.

Regardless where we end up going I'm really enjoying just looking at the maps, sectionals and web material.

I love mountains and these are so close using Flash. Let's plan this thing on a no-moon weekend so we can take advantage of the stargazing. Why did I sell my 10" Schmidt Cassigrain telescope a few years back? Oh yeah, bought RV stuff....

terlinguaaw4.jpg

b,
Krash

Last edited:
Ironflight said:
...... As a matter of fact, we frankly felt threatened, and got the heck out of dodge when we were told that the entire "town" was really a resort owned by a single company.

Memo to Lajitas Corporate...some of us have long memories, and I am not inclined to send any of my money your way... :mad:
WestWorld with a bad attitude!!

DeltaRomeo said:
...I hope L.Pardue can chime in with some suggestions sometime - I bet he knows the area better than we ever will. ...
Unfortunately I don't know it very well. I have made many trips to Marfa and have been south of there maybe three times. I've landed at Lajitas; that has been covered well. http://n5lp.net/Lajitas.htm

I have also landed at Terlingua Ranch (there are two strips that are called Terlingua), which you show in your post Doug. It is a very interesting looking area. When I was there about three years ago, the strip was in sort of marginal condition with a washout near the center. You had to land on the right spots. I recall a C185 driver on one of these forums saying he isn't comfortable landing there. The place has the feel of a low budget motel. There is a shop there that has some tourist trinkets and maybe some simple food.

I think Dr. Wallace, in a post above, is talking about the other Terlingua, which is further south. I haven't been there, but it sounds a bit more promising.

There seem to be a lot of places labeled Private, including, strangely enough, Big Bend State Park.

I'm not real good at working the phones for some of the private places but I will try to make a recon flight down that way soon to at least look at the condition of some of the airports.

I must admit Doug, Terlingua Ranch has always looked like an intriguing destination on the map, and with your oblique view from Google, even more so....Wilderness doesn't bother me, as long as the runway is in good enough conditiono for our wheel pants!

Paul

Marfa,Alpine,Lajitas trip

I have two different points to say so hang on:
1.) there is a group around Austin called the 100 mph club (cubs, citabrias,ect..)and they take a yearly trip from Central texas to Big Bend. I have seen some pics and think they stay in cabins somewhere. They have a website b/c i have seen it, but can't find it now. (google tailwheel, 100mph club ect...) If you can't find their info and want to talk to them, let me know and I will track one of them down.
NEXT
2.) Big bend area and Lajitas
couple years back I got the wife to agree to a Fly -out Anniversery in the RV(don't ask me how?). We chose to fly from Austin to Marfa and stay at Hotel she knew about where movie "GIANT" was filmed. Was nice and had a 4 star dinner in Marfa(there are couple nice resturants). Had gread homestyle breakfast at some small diner in town the next morning. (Will do it again!) On trip back to Ausitn we decided to fly down to Lajitas for lunch. Like stated before, we thought it was a town, but when we got there, it was a yuppidi yup Resort. I taxied the Gulfstream/RV6A right up there on the ramp beside the Pilatus. They (resort staff) drove us from airport to "town" where we TRIED to get lunch. We were ignored in the main nice restraurant then in the Bar where food was also served. They said we fell in the shift change time, but i spent 8 great college years in the service industry, and i can tell you they did not want to serve us. I will never go back, besides, the burgers were like $19. View was great from restaurant, but the wife was hungry and this stop was my idea, so we booked it to Fredericksburge, got burger there, then home to Austin. I agree with Paul, Don't give them your money. Besides, if you don't play golf I don't know what you would do there? Want to know more, email me.

Big Bend trip i am sure is enough, but Marfa, Alpine, and Ft. Davis are worth a look. If you are trying to include the wife or get her blessing, look these towns up.
Jeff H.
Austin tx

La Leona

More noodling.....

La Leona is one of the other strips at Terlingua marked "PVT". Look at these ntoes copied from the Airnav.com listing....Note especially the last one!!! :eek:

- MUDDY AFTER RAIN (UNSAFE TO LAND WHEN MUDDY).
- NEAREST AVGAS IS 80 MILES N AT ALPINE, TX.
- SUMMER GROUND SFC TEMPERATURES FREQUENTLY REACH 180 TO 200 DEGREES F. HEAT RESISTANT ACFT TIRES ADVISED.

I'm liking the sound of the hard surfaced runway at the State Park more and more..... :rolleyes:

Terlingua 3TE8

The Terlingua I referenced is the more southwesterly dirt strip in the google map above. It is a private strip owned by Charles Fulcher. We called him from the airnav info and he gave us permission to land with the usual "At your own risk" commentary. He seems like a very nice guy who appreciated the fact we called to get permission. The strip is easily found and in smooth shape all the way as of 2 weeks ago. There are some weeds but they did not cause the 210 any problem. Bring your own tie downs and if you really like the place Mr Fulcher has some self storage warehouses at the north end of the runway----unfortunately they were all taken or we would have left motorcycles out there for a few months----GREAT riding area!!

I am the 185 driver Larry mentioned, and have posted about this area before...not sure why I can't find it with the search function.

In the old days gone by, the cessna 180/185 club used to go to LaJitas every New Years eve for a flyin. It was a great place, with a nice gravel strip right in town, cheap rooms, restaurant, bar, etc. We would get rowed across the river (into Mexico) for a dollar to eat lunch over there, no border patrol, no customs.

No more. Some rich guy from Austin bought the whole town, poured huge $$$ into it, regular folks not welcome (this about 5 years ago). He said he is building the "Palm Springs of Texas". Now I hear he is going broke. You can fly in for a $14 hamburger if you like.

Terlingua Ranch is a bit primitive. The runway is rough, rocky, sandy, and gets no maintenance that I can detect. I will fly the 185 there but not the RV8. There is camping there, and small, cheap, rundown cabins. And the "Bad Rabbit" cafe.

Terlingua town strip is better, and there are cabins there, I don't know about camping.

Big Bend state park has a nice chip and seal runway (the chips seem kind of sharp edged and abrasive, you wouldn't want to practice touch and gos there), and the lodge is a beautiful old ranch house, with I think 4 bedrooms, that you can rent. You would have to fly out to go anywhere.

There are lots of private strips in the area, but all are a little rough for RVs. The towns are fun to visit though, Marfa, Presidio, Alpine all have good airports and courtesy cars.

Really, the best thing to do in this area is ride motorcycles, which I did last winter. A dual sport bike would be best. Don't miss the Chisos Basin (no airstrip that I know of).

Have fun!

Last edited:
Camp by planes vs Not....

So, the question begs of what mission this trip is? I'd LOVE to camp next to the plane with a beautiful mountain view, but it's looking like (from my limited research) that those places don't exist in SW Texas.

So, should the mission be instead fly to the closest place where we can be picked up be a hired van that will take us to a campsite where we can spend a day or two hiking in the most scenic areas?

I mean really.....look at this stuff!

bblk0.jpg
IMHO, if we can't find a place where we can do some serious mountain watching next to the planes, maybe plan B should be to leave the planes somewhere we can trust and then van it to the campsite.​
Now, who/where can we trust?​
Ah, planning is fun.​
b,​
dr​

I agree that camping next the planes sounds problematic. I kind of like Chuck's thoughts on flying into 3TE8 and getting jeeps from Study Butte. Heck, Mr. Fulcher might even let us set up a base camp by the airplanes, and then we take day trips/hikes out. The only advantage to camping next to the planes is not having to pack/repack for backpacking.

I know people who used to "do" Big Bend over the Christmas holidays, and they say you have to have reservations for camping/lodging well in advance. But day trips from a base camp might make that easier.

But bottom line - pick a time/mode/plan, and I'm in!

Paul

Wheels needed......

I am not sure that camping right there by the planes would be all that great. It is still a long walk to anywhere worthwhile. You pretty much need a jeep, bike, mc, or something as the distances between "attractions" are substantial. http://www.farflungoutdoorcenter.com/?page=JeepRentals is one local outfitter with good local knowledge and resources---not cheap but few choices.......

The Chisos Mining Co has campsites, motel rooms and cabins and is about 3 miles at most from the airstrip....once again a car or somesuch is somewhat necessary to really explore the area. I was just there for a big dirt bike dual sport ride 2 weeks ago---that is a great way to see the place.

Big Bend Camping

I was just out camping in Big Bend 2 weeks ago. great weather and fantastic views Take a good Camera..

I drove my jeep out to go on the 4x4 roads in the NP. I went over to Terlingua ranch and had lunch at the small resturant (great hamburger) and checked out the small hotel. Plan on making a flight out with the wife for an overnight stay during the spring. I walked the strip, and it is sand and gravel with a few rough spots, nothing my old Cardinal FG can't handle, will be concerned with the DA with my 160hp, while at the resturant I was told a flight of 8 planes had just left after spending the weekend. The Cook could not tell me the types of aircraft. They do have some camping sights near the runway, but it looks like a gravel pit, would not be as pleseant as the camping sights we had at Rio Grande village.

State park, I have never beenmyself, but after looking at the 100mph clubs web site (that I can no longer find) it looks like a nice group location. Here is a web sight about flying to the state park.

http://www.christophers.net/BBRSP.htm

Lajitas, I flew in about a year ago in a 182, a van took us to the resturant (nice but pricy). this year went to the resturant in the jeep, still pricy but nice views while being served by a friendly waitress. I also remember the old gravel strip downtown before lajitas was discovered by the elite.

I drove through Terlingua (the town), and noticed the strip next to the highway, this is not to far from Far flung adventures, did not notice any camping.

http://www.farflungoutdoorcenter.com/?page=JeepRentals

A jeep or jeeps could be rented and be used to take the parties to camping in the NP. A fun primitave site is the Johnson Ranch on the Rio Grande. This was an early 1920's Army Airfield that was established for border patrol flights. See web site'

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/historyculture/johnsonsranch.htm

To bad the old airfield is not open for campers, would be fun.

I saw a red and white 210 parked out all by its lonesome, could it be the one spoken of in an earlier post?

I recall reading that the 100 club would land at a ranch strip east of the NP that had a little resturant called Heath Canyon. Recall that arrangements had to be made in advance (1xs7).

G. W. Moore 68fg C177, saving for an Rv-7 or 8

Last edited:
Sounds like.....

you were there the weekend I was. That was likely my buddy's white/red 210. We were on the dual sport ride organized by Trail Riders of Houston. We sent bikes, truck and mechanic out and came in the easy way. It is somewhat necessary to plan a fuel stop coming or going from Dallas. We used Ft Stockton on the way to 3TE8.

Another good activity out there would be an Air Tour.....Alpine Marfa, Ft Davis, Presidio and all over the park area....sounds like a poker run to me....

A good time to check out the BB State park strip and the Heath Canyon operation....??

We had lunch at Terlingua Ranch and overflew the place on the way out---not sure it is RV friendly as discussed above.

I can get a truck sent out there with gear if people want to get stuff to Dallas

cawmd82 said:
...Another good activity out there would be an Air Tour.....Alpine Marfa, Ft Davis, Presidio and all over the park area....sounds like a poker run to me....
If something like this was done, Marfa might not be a bad place to camp. There are RV hook-ups on the airport, in fact near the middle of the airport. I'm not sure if they still work or what the financial arrangements are but I would think there should be water at least.

This is kind of a featureless area on its own (Davis Mountains to the north) but by RV it is close to some unbelievable scenic flying. There is also a glider operation on the field and if Burt and Kathy are around they would be thrilled to give people rides/instruction. http://www.flygliders.com/

My wife and I make several (3-4) flying trips to the SW Texas area every year. I also have arranged a number of motorcycle tours of the area.

If you are unable to find a suitable place to camp by your plane and decide to go where you can land, rent a vehicle and drive to the scenic areas either Marfa or Alpine are well maintained airports with multiple RWs.

We have typically flown into Alpine vs Marfa--only because it is closer to our home in San Antonio. You can rent anything from a big van to a compact at Alpine Auto Rental. The drive south to the Big Bend area and the National Park is about 80 very scenic miles (if you have an interest in geology you will be stopping a lot) with day hiking available along the way. You can also hike and camp up in the Chisos basin (or stay in cabins or the motel) and enjoy the 7400' elevation and beautiful 100 mile views. Terlingua and the beautiful river road drive are a short distance away as is Big Bend State Park

If you drive north from Alpine about 20 miles you come to Ft Davis (highest town in Texas at 5050' ele) and the Davis Mountains State park. This is our typical destination--especially during San Antonios hot summers. You can camp at the park (mountains/pine trees and cool/cold nights) or stay at the CCC built Indian Mountain Lodge at the park. Many hiking trails in the park and some spectacular views from the highest point in the park. The McDonal Observatory is also about 5 minutes from the park with nightly "star parties"(you can look through some of their telescopes) and the clearest view of the Milky Way I had seen since childhood. If you stay in Ft Davis there are many B&Bs and restored hotels to include the Hotel Limpia -- you can also visit the old (1850s vintage)Fort in town.

Just some additional info to consider--you can probably tell that I love that part of Texas--it is a great get-a-way.

Cheers,
db
RV9a/ECI 0360/James Cowl/Catto Prop/85 hrs. and a permanent SMILE!!!!

db1yg said:
My wife and I make several (3-4) flying trips to the SW Texas area every year. I also have arranged a number of motorcycle tours of the area.

If you are unable to find a suitable place to camp by your plane and decide to go where you can land, rent a vehicle and drive to the scenic areas either Marfa or Alpine are well maintained airports with multiple RWs.

We have typically flown into Alpine vs Marfa--only because it is closer to our home in San Antonio. You can rent anything from a big van to a compact at Alpine Auto Rental. The drive south to the Big Bend area and the National Park is about 80 very scenic miles (if you have an interest in geology you will be stopping a lot) with day hiking available along the way. You can also hike and camp up in the Chisos basin (or stay in cabins or the motel) and enjoy the 7400' elevation and beautiful 100 mile views. Terlingua and the beautiful river road drive are a short distance away as is Big Bend State Park

If you drive north from Alpine about 20 miles you come to Ft Davis (highest town in Texas at 5050' ele) and the Davis Mountains State park. This is our typical destination--especially during San Antonios hot summers. You can camp at the park (mountains/pine trees and cool/cold nights) or stay at the CCC built Indian Mountain Lodge at the park. Many hiking trails in the park and some spectacular views from the highest point in the park. The McDonal Observatory is also about 5 minutes from the park with nightly "star parties"(you can look through some of their telescopes) and the clearest view of the Milky Way I had seen since childhood. If you stay in Ft Davis there are many B&Bs and restored hotels to include the Hotel Limpia -- you can also visit the old (1850s vintage)Fort in town.

Just some additional info to consider--you can probably tell that I love that part of Texas--it is a great get-a-way.

Cheers,
db
RV9a/ECI 0360/James Cowl/Catto Prop/85 hrs. and a permanent SMILE!!!!

Having been to Big Ben a few times, this is the best advise. Fly into Alpine. If you can get a room in the park at the Chisos Basin, great. It's incredible. If not, Davis is an excellent campsite or lodge location. McDonald is a must see. Camping near a plane in Big Ben will be very primitive. Camping in the Chisos basin is very nice but first come. You have to get there very early and grab a space someone else vacates.
Maybe someday, I will have an RV and join this group.
Larry
Austin,TX

Big Bend alternatives

Friends: The BB is fabulous, as I've discovered over the last fifteen years Flying out from ELP for the yearly Lajitas Cessna 180-185 New Year's bash... no longer in existence due to the new and elegant trappings there. All the advice and research posted is most worthwhile, and I'm sure your visit will be enjoyable. I would like, however, to have you consider New Mexico. Home of the LOE fly-in, it is truly the land of enchantment. Where the BB is bleak and forbidding, (but indeed beautiful), NM is breathtaking also. I would recommend Whiskey Creek (94E), which I believe can be used for camping, and there is a small FBO on the field. Silver City, an artsy-type small town very near by would be great for spouses, and rental cars can be arranged. The Bear Mountain Lodge is also available, for those more interested in comfort. More beautiful, up in the Black Mountain range, is Reserve (T16). Fabulous hiking and camping, but more remote, and some gound support would have to be arranged. I would consider the staging area to be ELP, and my home field TA-50 could be used. It is a fly-in community lying in the valley right below 5T6, where LOE is held. Give it some thought. I'm sure some of the AZ RV'ers would love to come.

Tom Navar, M.D.
RV-8QB
Empennage done
Wings nearly finished

Cibolo Creek

Another area attraction is Cibolo Creek Ranch lodge, www.cibolocreekranch.com, this is not a camping option but a high end keep the wife-girlfriend-whatever happy. Reportedly they have great food, digs, local hiking, and a very servicable 5000ish foot strip. Might be a good stop on a Big Bend air tour-poker run for the camp inclined also.

Local Resource

If any of you have any specific questions about the Big Bend, I live in Presidio and fly out of Alpine and Marfa as well. Can probably get you some answers or help with arrangements. Please feel free to contact me.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, TX
www.flybigbend.com
[email protected]

Just a heads-up to anyone who plans to do some aerial sightseeing while you're in the Big Bend area: There are several military low-level routes (denoted by thin gray lines on your sectional) that run throughout the area. These are, as they say, no sh*##ers!

Most notably, VR-1117/1109 begins/ends just between the two "Terlingua" strips. On weekdays, when the weather is good, you can expect to see T-38s from Laughlin AFB zipping down through the valleys at 360 KIAS+ and 500' AGL, piloted by students(!). The route width is up to 10 nm in places -- so the jets don't just follow the the line on the map, they could be anywhere near the line.

Having spent several years as an instructor there, and having flown those routes many times, and I can tell you that T-38 students are often working very hard to find their next visual checkpoint, but not necessarily looking for traffic. You can bet that the instructor in the back seat is scanning like crazy, but sometimes the visibility back there is not the best...

So keep your eyes open, and be the half of the equation that IS effectively "seeing and avoiding."

BTW, the Air Force's T-1 Jayhawks (Beech 400 bizjets) also utilize these routes (at slower airspeeds), and I believe B-1s fly some of the other routes further to the north. Frankly, you might see anything on the these routes, from F-16s to B-52s.

The Big Bend area is absolutely gorgeous, and is one of my favorite places to fly, camp, hike, etc. It's one of the few places where you truly feel like you're a million miles from anywhere. Have fun out there!

Back