What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Get thee to a distillery!

humptybump

Well Known Member
It's a Saturday. What to do ... What to do ...

I know! Let's fly to a DISTILLERY!!!

A pilot budy of mine is one of the founders of Manatawny Stillworks and big surprise - it's located walking distance from the Pottstown Airport. What are the odds of that ?

The first order of business was to get the dog tired out and settled. Then fuel the Devastator and do the pre-flight.

The flight up was uneventful if not a bit slow with 19kts on the nose. The view was nice looking down (not so nice looking up). The Eastern Shore is beautiful year round.

IMG_0136-575x383.jpg

On arrival at Pottstown, things were busy. I was #3 for landing. Clearly they had not been informed I was on a mission and a schedule.

Something just didn't seem right. I taxied by a couple aircraft from the history books. Then I spotted Doc Brown's car and it all made sense.

IMG_0137-480x640.jpg

You walk out the gate, down the side of the airport fence, take a left and another left to come up the other side of the airport and the signs tell that you have arrived.

IMG_0138-575x431.jpg

Manatawny Still Works has whiskey a cits core but I have it on good authority one of the founders is fond of the juniper.

IMG_0134-575x384.jpg

That is good for me because it brought rise to this special event to honor a special new spirit - a Gin aged in a whiskey barrel ! ... yes, just stop and ponder that for a good long minute.

IMG_0130-293x640.jpg

It all starts with grain and water but here are the Italian contraptions which turn those simple ingredients into silver and gold.

IMG_0071-575x431.jpg

After the tour (and agyonizily no tasting for the pilot), there are shirts and glasses and purchasing to be done.

IMG_0131-575x422.jpg

With the precious cargo secure, it's time to see if the morning headwind is an afternoon tailwind.

IMG_0077-575x431.jpg

The winds indeed were indeed favorable but a storm was brewing faster the the wort for a whiskey. Base to final had the Devastator dropping down to the field with 19g23kts and wanting all over the place. The landing was safe but not pretty. More important, the cargo was intact.

Here is the day's bounty! Two Gins, a whiskey, two aged Gins from batch #1, and a complimentary glass.

IMG_0125-575x431.jpg

Who needs "hundred dollar hamburger runs" when you can fly to a distillery?

Last edited:
Is that a seal I see broken in bottle #3? :D

Looks like a nice trip Glen and thanks for sharing. I may have to check it out myself!

Now I know why you couldn't make it to Andy's party. It looks like you had a nice trip Glen. Did you work for that whiskey or just bought it? :D

Glen,
You were born about 100 years too late. Back in Prohibition years you could have done well.
Bill

Yes Bill, I can see a propensity for "transporting bottles". I guess an RV-8 is modern day version of the Ford Coupe V-8 :)

Vlad, the place was a lot filler than in your photo. The only one "working" was the guy behind the counter. Most of the bar and tables were occupied !

Chris, no seals were or have been broken. Most of the booty has been allocated to gifts. I have some worthy friends :)

Glen, saddle up and bring samples to Triple Tree next weekend! 350 NM, easy trip, couple hours in an -8. There is a some tasting already planned for under the Parachute, although the distilleries in questions are not quite as large as Manatawny.

Glen, saddle up and bring samples to Triple Tree next weekend! 350 NM, easy trip, couple hours in an -8.

Sadly DanH, I'm headed in the opposite direction this next weekend.

... and with a 150hp RV-8, 350NM is doable but not in a 'couple of hours' :mad:

Hmmm

Judging by how she did at the tailgates yesterday, Andi would like a trip to a "still works"..... Irish girls.......

Nice write-up

Hey Glen.....enjoyed the write-up. I went to a distillery one time....I tried
to take a video of the operation....but all I could get it a "still" photo:D

A%20Still%20Photo_zpskfyiviio.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice pics

IMG_0136-575x383.jpg

Thanks for that picture, I live on that beach at the very top center on the Northeast River.

Glen
Great write up! Sorry I was not available to give you a private tour. I sure do appreciate the PR and I look forward to your review of both the aged and regular Gin.

So maybe I need to plan a Whiskey Fly In with special prizes for ....Hmmm
Stay tuned !

Back