What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner Kit Quality

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hey All,

I am considering deleting the Vans Spinner Kit from my Finish Kit order. The only reason is because I want a nice polished spinner.

Am I asking for more hassles going with the Hartzell spinner? This is the first time doing this, so please forgive ny naivete'.

Going on looks alone, I like the polished one.

:rolleyes: CJ

I am not familiar with what the fit or finish quality of the hartzel spinner is, but from what I have heard you could purchase quite a few Vans' spinners for what the hartzel one costs.

Well, I suppose that this is a common thing.

Not too many can safely answer the differences because most people have only installed one or the other!

:p

I am not doubting the cost differential. I am SURE the Vans one is much less. I suppose that is one thing that is making me rethink this situation.

I think I REALLY WANT a shiny spinner, so I think I will go with it. I am not really concerned with the upcharge. It will make it tough to chew when that time comes, but it will give me something to polish when plane is done!

Thanks!

:D CJ

Visibility for drilling

The ability to see the forward spinner plate for drilling mating holes is almost foolproof with the fiberglass spinner.

Bob Axsom

Bob, I am at a loss...

The next spinner I install will be the first one. Can you explain?

Please, dumb it down for me or add pictures. I am not too proud to say that I don't know something when that is the case.

The way I imagine this is the attachment plate provided by Hartzell will come ready to attach to the spinner?

No? I don't get it.

:confused: CJ

Here arer the photos

I do not know how Hartzell delivers their spinner but remember this: if it is really important to you to have a polished spinner, many of them have been installed before and you can do it too. One advantage of the polished spinner is you will not scrape the paint during cowl removal and especially installation. I use two file folders with mating crankcase cutouts, taped together behind the spinner to prevent this problem.

I took these photos on Christmas Eve 1999. I started working on it at 11:41 and took the last photo after completing the work at 23:29. I worked in three sessions that day consuming 7.3 workhours.

My starting entry in the log is:

11:41 Starting the spinner installation. 12:53 Stopping for a break. I have to think about this. Instructions are poor. R. W. Axsom​

My ending entry in the log is:

23:29 The holes are drilled for the screws and platenut mounting holes and all holes are deburred. One photo taken of spinner clecoed in place. R. W. Axsom​

3.2 hours of that time was spent laying out and cutting out the openings for the C/S prop. When calculating the hole spacing for the rear bulkhead I did not account for the prop cutout so I had to redo that. Thankfully, no incorrectly located holes were drilled as the error became obvious when the pattern was layed out.

Bob Axsom

spinner1ys8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

spinner2fe4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

spinner3zj3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I see now Bob how the glass one goes together.

I suppose I ought to go to the local FBO and see if I can find a Hartzell one taken apart and compare it to this.

Thanks for your help!

I think I am leaning towards the polished one.

It looks REALLY nice!

2i8iwlj.jpg

;) CJ

Already drilled?

Bob Axsom said:
The ability to see the forward spinner plate for drilling mating holes is almost foolproof with the fiberglass spinner.

Bob Axsom

Does the Hartzell spinner come already drilled and with the nutplates installed on the mounting bulkheads like the Sensenich one?

Perhaps you don't need to do the drilling.... :)

gil in Tucson ... who's going to have a shiny Sensenich spinner...

Hartzell Spinner

When I checked with Hartzell 2 years ago they didn't have a complete spinner package. Let us know what you find out.

Gary

Hartzell spinners

CJ,

Yes, we do have some spinners that have been sold to RV builders. However, our spinner diameters may not be identical to the RV fiberglass model. I can check our database tomorrow to find out what others have used (there aren't many to choose from at small diameter). If you purchase a spinner from us, it comes complete, cutouts, nutplates, screws, a nice polished surface and spray-lat protection. Bolt it on and go!

Drop me an e-mail at your convenience ([email protected]) and I'll reply with spinner models, or I can post them here. You'll have to call New Parts Sales to get pricing and/or what distributors might have them. Be sure you are sitting down when they quote the price...

Les Doud

Thanks Les!

Yes, I am interested in finding out more!

I am sending you an email now.

I also contacted American Propellor in Redding, CA. I understand they are a dealer.

Thanks!

:) CJ

Back