What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot as aileron trim...

ksauce

Well Known Member
Patron
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has combined autopilot and aileron trim functions into one servo. It would seem to be a way to minimize weight and complexity. I'm curious what the downsides would be. I know autopilots engage/disengage the servos, but I would think that these mechanisms are continuous duty anyway. The only downside I can see is losing aileron trim if the autopilot goes down, but perhaps this could be mitigated with some sort of smart multiplexer downstream of the autopilot and trim switches. Is this a good idea or an NTSB report in the making?

Kevin

Stress

Kevin,

While the AP would offer the trim function it would put the servos under constant stress...the same stress you would experience trying to hold the stick. It seems to me the manual aileron trim system is a simple solution to save an expensive servo. KISS

Good luck

When I first installed my A/P, I removed my manual roll trim. I soon put it back in. The manual roll trim weighs practically nothing and works great. And it continues to work in all fail modes.

Back