What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A Advice - ADS-B and Strobes

Shadetree

Well Known Member
My new already built RV8A has the Dynon 180, GTX327, SL40, Garmin 796-VFR day, no strobes.
It would appear that my options for ADS-B compliance would be to with pull the SL40 and add a GPS navigator and the right transponder or pull the Dynon 180 and replace it with a Skyview and Dynon GPS. I understand that with the D180 I have no other options. If anyone has any advice or other options I would appreciate it.

I also want to be able to fly at night and add strobes in place of the nav lights in the batwing style wing tips and rudder. Which system would you recommend that would work well with the least weight and noise?

You have lots of options without changing your panel. For instance, you could tuck a $2,000 Freeflight Rangr behind the panel and be done with no new position source or transponder needed. L3 sells a similar box as well.

An IFR navigator makes sense as a GPS source if you are already going to have one for IFR use, and of course the Dynon GPS makes sense if you already have SkyView.

Remember, there are tens of thousands of certified planes that need ADS-B out so there are a lot of companies making products to make these systems ADS-B out compliant without needing a $10K IFR navigator or a Dynon SkyView (sadly).

Of course, we think the SkyView solution would be the best ;)

Thank you for the Dynon response.

The response from"dynonsupport" is on the money.
The "UAT" approach gives you a "box" that basically has everything.
So you should also consider looking at NavWorX.

What do you have though for a trans[onder at present?

A somewhat recent one (like the Garmin GTX 327) would be helpful if that is what you already have. And if you have the Trig (or Dynon) modules you should be good to go.

James

I also want to be able to fly at night and add strobes in place of the nav lights in the batwing style wing tips and rudder. Which system would you recommend that would work well with the least weight and noise?

I'm sure you meant "add strobes in addition to...", not "in place of".

The Vans strobe system meets FAR specs and works well.

The response from"dynonsupport" is on the money.
The "UAT" approach gives you a "box" that basically has everything.
So you should also consider looking at NavWorX.

What do you have though for a trans[onder at present?

A somewhat recent one (like the Garmin GTX 327) would be helpful if that is what you already have. And if you have the Trig (or Dynon) modules you should be good to go.

James

Yes, I have the Garmin GTX327

Back