What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mother Ship's KUAO Tower

BruceEicher

Well Known Member
UPDATED: Mother Ship's KUAO Tower

Coming soon...

Aurora Oregon, home of Van's will be getting the tower up and running soon;

New effective date October15th

Hours of operation; 0700 to 2000

frequency 120.35
Ground 119.15

CTAF 122.7

No ATIS up and running as of yet, but will operate with ASOS and verbal info from tower until completed

Airspace;
Surface to and including 2700'
Odd shaped 5 mile radius with cutout at 3.3 miles to accommodate Lenhardt Airpark

Will be on the charts in December?

jb204w.jpg

Last edited:
Hey there Bruce - Will they operate initially as a control tower or as an advisory service, do you know? I've heard both.

Yes...

I heard advisory for two weeks, but when that is is up to the completion of training and certification the new crew will need.

Latest news

Cut and pasted from a club notice based on Aurora, not official, use at your own discretion please.

35mi2wk.jpg

There are a lot of airspace changes going on and much of it without being published in the standard way that we as pilots are used to - i.e., on a sectional or on our downloaded charts.

First, Aurora. We understand that Aurora's Class D airspace will be effective on October 15th and no it won't be on your charts until December. Tower will be 120.35 and Ground will be 119.15. We still believe that the Tower will monitor 122.70 for 6 months. Stay tuned for more up to date info. See the following chart:

Next, Salem. This is in the A/FD, but not on the charts yet and may be changed based on comments. However, it is in effect NOW!

Here is what Mary Rosenblum wrote about this:

You can fly in the white arc without talking to the Salem Tower as long as the ATIS (124.55) is VFR. If the field is IFR, the white arc goes back to being regular Delta and you must contact the tower before entering it.
Confused yet? You and a whole bunch of pilots.
This rapid alteration of airspace without any effort being made to let pilots know, with no NOTAM issued to warn pilots, has created a significant safety issue, particularly since Salem has NO radar and cannot monitor safe separation in the expanded airspace. Feel free to mention that in your comments.

Bottom line - pay attention to both these areas. Better to check everything out before you fly into these areas.

Remember that we are getting this info out to you to help you in your planning, but as pilot in command you are responsible for your own planning. The info we have could be wrong or could change. But you are forewarned.

e7atu0.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, have times changed!

It wasn't long ago that pilots would scream like crazy when an airport was given a control tower and now it is embraced as a very positive improvement.

I hope they monitor the old CTAF frequency for some time as you just know not every pilot is going to get the message.

It wasn't long ago that pilots would scream like crazy when an airport was given a control tower and now it is embraced as a very positive improvement.
Well, it would be an improvement at Aurora: there are often Citations, Phenoms, and other fast-movers mixed with NORDO biplanes, not to mention busy rental and flight school activity. It's not unusual to meet someone on an instrument approach to the opposite end of the runway used for visual operations.

Salem, on the other hand, is a sleepy place and I wish the tower would just go away. Incidentally, the Salem ATIS refers pilots to the Federal Register for the new airspace definitions. Yeah, right.

The KUAO Class D airspace is in the FAA database update and goes live next Thursday
21855441358_771e9361a7_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc
N402RH RV-10

Back