What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strobe Power Supply Proximity to Nav Antenna

FlyerJumper

Well Known Member
Initial penciling of my electrical system...

I plan to use the wingtip nav antennas, and would like to use dedicated left and right strobe power supplies. The first mounting location that comes to mind for the power supplies is on the outside of the most outboard wing ribs. However, this puts them right next to the nav antennas. Has anyone done this? Any reception interference/noise issues caused by the close proximity of the power supplies?

Strobe Power Supply in Wing Tip

I have a Bob Archer Nav antenna in each wingtip. My stobe power supplies are mounted on the aft side of the main spar just inside the end rib.

It works great. I had over 1,970 hour on the airplane when I put it away yesterday. No strobe noise can be heard in flight. The SL-30 picks up nav signals before I can hear the morse code ID. The other nav antenna is connected to my FM Radio / CD MP3 player. No noise in the FM radio.

At normal RV cruse altitudes, I can pick up VORs more than 75 miles out. I want to say 100 miles out but typically only use the VOR to back up my GPS and typically do not tune to VORs that far out.

Wing tip strobe power supplies

I also have a Bob Archer Nav antenna and a marker beacon antenna in the wingtip with my strobe power supplies mounted on the outside of the outer most wing ribs. So far no reception problems with the SL30 or GMA 340 marker beacon.

Steve
RV7
N174AS
238 hours

I have the same setup as Gary (Less the FM radio) and have had no trouble. Reception with the NAv radio is excellent.

The only noise I *barely* hear is just a very slight "tap tap tap....tap tap tap..." from the strobes. You really have to listen for it to actually notice it.

Regards,

Back