What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Prop TBO

AndrewTR30

The prop that Vans sells (Part Number = PROP MTV12B/193-53) has a TBO of 200 hrs or 72 mos, whichever comes first, per MT.
In speaking with one of the US distributors, they tell me that the reason for this is that since MT can't test every engine/hub/blade combination, the low TBO is done for liability reasons. This sort of makes sense, since the same hub with other blades has a 2000 hour tbo on there website. They also said that since we're experimental, that we the builder can determine when the prop needs to be overhauled. If that's the case why publish a TBO at all? How necessary is it that the prop be overhauled at 200 hrs?

Interesting

AndrewTR30 said:
The prop that Vans sells (Part Number = PROP MTV12B/193-53) has a TBO of 200 hrs or 72 mos, whichever comes first, per MT.
In speaking with one of the US distributors, they tell me that the reason for this is that since MT can't test every engine/hub/blade combination, the low TBO is done for liability reasons. This sort of makes sense, since the same hub with other blades has a 2000 hour tbo on there website. They also said that since we're experimental, that we the builder can determine when the prop needs to be overhauled. If that's the case why publish a TBO at all? How necessary is it that the prop be overhauled at 200 hrs?
Interesting! :rolleyes: :eek: I think its CYA or really cover their's. 200 HOURS! OMGosh. I was told, although I never saw the test or approval that MT did test there props and clear them for our typical Lyc's and even EI, but that I guess was not true or they just don't want to be responsible when it's on an experimental.

Every body knows I'm a Hartzell/Sensenich fan; If you don't NEED a lighter weight prop or an electrically operated C/S prop, than Hartzell is a better value IMHO. I guess if you also have a radical high compression engine with EI than composite prop may be better?

Whirl Wind prop company did a similar thing with their TBO limits as MT did; they lowered their TBO when Hartzell came out with their revelation about the affect Electronic Ignition (EI) had on their props. Whirl Wind just unilaterally cut their TBO, indicating they did not test it or have service experience for the new design, which is the prudent thing to do. I guess that is why Hartzell says you should have a certified prop.

This is not to bash against MT or WW. No doubt the MT is capable of going more than 200 hours between TBO, but this gives MT a leagle safety chute if something happens, "hey its experimental, we told you to overhaul it every 200 hours". To be fair MT has good service history in general, and I found only one MT blade seperation AD for one of their other models.

Also to be fair, if you're running high compression pistons on your Lycoming, Hartzell has not tested that config. Since Hi-comp engine configurations are untested there's no guarantee, but if your engine is stock or stock with EI, than Hartzell has you covered you with test, analysis and history, as if it was certified for the RV.

In the spirit of full disclosure, there are Hartzell AD's on older model props where TBO's are shortened to 1000 hours -OR- there are intermediate inspections. The newer Hartzell props do not have TBO limits (2000 hours typical) or extra inspections. However older HC props, for example some older HC2YK/F7666's (which are popular on RV's) now have a 100 hour on plane inspection. It's not a bad inspection, but it's an extra pain. After 30 years of service history, a spacific area of concern had been addressed on the older design, so the newer versions of the C2YK/F7666 or the new "BA" prop have been corrected and don't have short TBO or extra inspections; they benifit from the service history of previous models and versions. Most important Hartzell has tested their props on the RV airframe. Prop performance and safety can be affected by the airframe. Metal props are more critical for metal fatigue. Hartzell's goal is infinite fatigue service life. MT's and whirlwinds with composite blades do not have the same fatigue characteristics, but their hubs are still metal. Which is probably their concern.

The other relevant thing I can say is a Hartzell overhaul usually can be done at a local prop shop and for much less money by a large factor. I think a MT overhaul is almost twice as much money and often needs to be sent out. Also the MT overhaul will take longer from what I hear, especially if it's shipped out, which is likely. Most prop shops in the USA can turn a Hartzell OH in a few working days.

Last edited:
Documentation?

AndrewTR30 said:

Andrew... is this actually documented? Or is it "word of mouth"?

The MT documentation does not list the "193-53" variation of the MTV12B in it's TBO list, but I can't find anything in the documentation that says unlisted props are at 200 hrs. TBO...

http://www.mt-propeller.com/pdf/sbs/sb1ab.pdf

The prop product manual refers to the above SB

http://www.mt-propeller.com/pdf/manuals/e-124.pdf

Do you have this in writing?

gil in Tucson

MT's are not all the same

As I've pointed out here numerous times, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in...

MT makes lots of props (like Hartzell or McCauley sort of), and they are not all the same. MT makes composite props and metal bladed props. Some of their props are certified to go on certified engines on certified airplanes, like Aviat Huskeys and Super Cubs for instance. Each of their props, depending on where it's used and how it's used...has a TBO. They're not all the same. Best bet is to get on the phone and call the MT US service center, or an MT distributor and ask them so you get the real information. My logbook for the MTV15B, [which is a scimitar blade aluminum (2 blade) constant speed prop] lists the TBO at 2000hrs. Yours may be different, and the one Van's sells is a composite prop I believe, so it probably has a different TBO.

It should be a REAL document

Bob Brown said:
As I've pointed out here numerous times, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in...

MT makes lots of props (like Hartzell or McCauley sort of), and they are not all the same. MT makes composite props and metal bladed props. Some of their props are certified to go on certified engines on certified airplanes, like Aviat Huskeys and Super Cubs for instance. Each of their props, depending on where it's used and how it's used...has a TBO. They're not all the same. Best bet is to get on the phone and call the MT US service center, or an MT distributor and ask them so you get the real information. My logbook for the MTV15B, [which is a scimitar blade aluminum (2 blade) constant speed prop] lists the TBO at 2000hrs. Yours may be different, and the one Van's sells is a composite prop I believe, so it probably has a different TBO.

Bob... if it's a real TBO it should not be "word of mouth". Even if they are different...

There should be an approved factory document stating the overhaul requirements.

Again, I say ask for the documentation - not "word of mouth". Write to the factory and ask for their paperwork.

gil in Tucson

Confirmed by two sources.

Yes, it really is 200 hours.
I got this directly from MT in Germany and also from the service center in Deland, FL.
I can provide you with a copy of the e-mails sent back and forth if you like.
I originally thought they had mistakenly left off a 0 also.

Read the manual

RV7A-QB, Slider, Superior IO-360, glass plenum, dual P-Mags, Bendix FI w/purge, MT Aluminum Blade Constant Speed ,AOA, KMD-150,Trutrak A/P.
President EAA Chapter 292 (eaa292.org)

Bob.. as I've said many times here, read the manufacturer's data and manuals.

I believe your prop actually has a 1800 hr TBO, not 2000 like you previously said, in spite of what is in your log book.

The approved product manual for your prop...

http://www.mt-propeller.com/pdf/manuals/e-124.pdf

...has this paragraph on page 6.....

Overhaul is to be accomplished in accordance with the latest revision
of the Overhaul Manual No. E-220 (ATA 61-12-20). The overhaul
interval for the propellers is shown in Service Bulletin No. 1.-( ).

This points to the latest revision of the Service Bulletin #1

http://www.mt-propeller.com/pdf/sbs/sb1ab.pdf

Which lists your prop on page 6 as 1800 hrs (or perhaps 1000 hrs, depends on it's dash number) TBO.

By referencing an approved, released document MT can change the TBO hrs. depending on field experiences.. they can't change your log book easily after they shipped it to you...

Again, ask for approved documentation.... even if we are experimental and do not have to follow TBOs.... :)

gil in Tucson

SB #1

AndrewTR30 said:
Yes, it really is 200 hours.
I got this directly from MT in Germany and also from the service center in Deland, FL.
I can provide you with a copy of the e-mails sent back and forth if you like.
I originally thought they had mistakenly left off a 0 also.

Andrew... is that because your prop particular dash number does not appear in the Service Bulletin #1 document?

gil in Tucson

Thanks Gil!

Actually, my manual only says 1000 hrs, I had spoken to the MT people around Oshkosh time. As you note by referencing the most recent publications, they have since bumped it up twice to where it is now. I heard recently from an MT dealer that they were raising it to 2000, hence my (for now) misquote. Of course, with P-Mags and 9:1 pistons on a Superior engine, who knows? As you said, we fly experimentals...
The point I was mostly trying to make was that any time a discussion comes up about props, it is a given that every prop but a Hartzell sucks. (maybe yes, maybe no...)
MT blades don't last (forming a negative impression about ALL MT blades, composite or metal).
Every time a discussion comes up about an engine, a Powersport will always be deemed the best. (maybe yes, maybe no)
Every time a discussion comes up about fuel injection {you fill in} is the best. (maybe yes, maybe no)
Every time a discussion comes up about auto engines, they all lose out. {some people's goals are different...}
We all have hard won and jealously guarded opinions. Personally, I try very hard not to badmouth any product, or any system I'm not intimately familiar with...because we all make our choices for the reasons that make sense to us.

Thanks for keeping me straight Gil. Your methodology, knowledge and experience are much respected at this end.

Bob

Not in the SB

This particular hub/blade combo is not listed in the service bulletin. That's why I contacted them directly.

options...

From the manual that Gil presented the link for, it appears that the MTV-14-() prop series for the Lycoming IO-540 has an 1800 hr TBO...you might want to call MT about that one and discuss options. 200 hr TBO seems ridiculous.

Back