What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

South Carolina aircraft taxes and fees

alcladrv

Well Known Member
I'm looking at relocating to South Carolina with my RV-7A, which I've flown for a year and is registered in a corporation's name. Can anybody, who lives there now, spell out what taxes and/or fees are due when initially moving there (i.e. use taxes, etc.), and those that would be due annually (i.e. registration, property, etc.)?

Thanks for your help.

property tax

i inquired about this and came to about 1500$..varies from county to county (not much). no use tax that i know of but others will chime in as mine isnt flying yet.

What state is the corporation chartered in? I think the states get their info from the FAA data base when you get the airworthiness cert. If there is no yearly state registration, they probably won't know you have a plane. Nefer owned aplane when I lived there.

It varies really ...

alcladrv said:
I'm looking at relocating to South Carolina with my RV-7A, which I've flown for a year and is registered in a corporation's name. Can anybody, who lives there now, spell out what taxes and/or fees are due when initially moving there (i.e. use taxes, etc.), and those that would be due annually (i.e. registration, property, etc.)?

Thanks for your help.
Multiple things come into play. There are differences from county to county. There are differences based on the original "assessed value".

Even though it is registered in another state, if it is hangared in county-owned hangar, they are likely to track it down and try get some fee annually.

The amounts can vary based on the above by a factor of 2-3 I think.

James

Back