What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Micro vs. micro+flox???

digidocs

Well Known Member
Hello composite experts,

Getting ready to fill in a few large gaps around the -10 doors and I'm looking for advice what formula to use for the filler. The great thing about composites is that there are many choices, but that's also the problem!

Should I go with straight micro? Maybe add a little flox for toughness? What are your favorite recipes?

Thanks for the help,
David

How large are the gaps you are working with??

Are they subject to damage during normal use?? Drip rail for instance.

Hello composite experts,

Getting ready to fill in a few large gaps around the -10 doors and I'm looking for advice what formula to use for the filler. The great thing about composites is that there are many choices, but that's also the problem!

Should I go with straight micro? Maybe add a little flox for toughness? What are your favorite recipes?

Thanks for the help,
David

What I did for filling around the cabin cover is to fill the voids with flox. Flox is significantly stronger than micro. Then I top coated the flox with micro for a smoother finish that is easier to sand.

Rule of thumb

My rule of thumb is. Bondo no thicker than 1/16". Micro no thicker than 1/8". Thicker than that go with chopped fiber or flox in resin. I would not add chopped fibers to micro. One makes it weak and one makes it strong. Kinda working at cross purposes.

Gary

Mike --- the gaps are up to ~1/8th inch.

Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far.

David

I suggest an educational experiment.

Mix a small batch of epoxy, divide it into several cups, and mix a batch of flox, a batch of micro, and batch with plain cabosil, plus some combinations too. Drop a few small blobs of each on a piece of waxed paper, and let them cure a few days.

Now try to destroy them....hammer on concrete, bench vice, whatever floats your boat. Wear safety glasses...I'm not kidding.

Mike --- the gaps are up to ~1/8th inch.

Well, micro can easily be used for a gap like this, but it will not be overly strong---even less if it is a really dry mixture. Is this going to be in an area where it can get damaged from normal usage?? Door sill area gets stuff dropped on it---------door top almost never gets touched.

I still dont have a good idea what you are trying to do here, so kinda shotgunning the answers.

If in doubt add some flox.

Bob's comment about filling with flox mixture and top coating with micro is a good one.

Dan's suggestion about doing some test mixture samples is also very good, and will most likely surprise you.

Back