What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mic gain, wind noise, and the like

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Has anyone needed to tinker with the mic gain on the SL-30 in the RV? I just got my new pair of 30-3G's and I love them. Except when I transmit in the air it sounds horrible, to me. Others say they hear me fine. But the quality just plain stinks when I hit the transmit button. I think I read on the boards about lowering the mic gain. Would this help my situation? On the ground it seems fine but as I'm climbing out you can hear it get worse.

I dont know if it's something with my audio panel. I hear a lot of wind noise or background type static on the GMA-340 (not a keyed mic). This phenomenon also gets worse as I climb. There's no background noise at zero airspeed but on climbout it gently fades in. To the point where I turn down my intercom all the way (no need for it when I'm alone).

Hope this all makes sense. Sorry for the blabber

SL-30 configuration

Mic gain is adjustable for each one separately. But that's probably not the problem. I suggest you look at the Oregon Aero site: http://www.oregonaero.com/p5455_2001.html#components under "MicMuff".

Squelch is also adjustable, but neither of these solved my similar problem

There are two ways to get at the SL-30 adjustments:
1. "sys" button, then select "Com Options". To complete this section, press Com.
2. Hold down <-> and "sys" while turning on the radio (you may need three hands). To complete this section's adjustments, turn it off again.

What are your RF signal strength and noise level readings?

Turned mic gain way down

to get my SL-40 to sound good. ATC hated it before we turned the sidetone and mic gain way down. I am using Lightspeed QFR XC headset. Sounds great now.

Back