What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Ground Station Improvements

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
G3X and G3X Touch System Users,

Garmin previously communicated that a ground station software issue prevented the ground stations from reliably providing TIS-B services for aircraft equipped with 1090ES ADS-B Out and dual frequency (978/1090 Mhz) ADS-B receivers like the GDL 39/39R, and provided a temporary configuration work-around.

The FAA has communicated that this ground station issue has been corrected, so it is no longer necessary to set the ADS-B 1090ES IN field to NOT SUPPORTED on the GTX 23ES transponder configuration page.

G3X and G3X Touch systems may now set both the ADS-B UAT IN and ADS-B 1090ES IN fields to SUPPORTED to correctly indicate that the GDL 39/39R is a dual frequency receiver able to directly receive the signals from both types of ADS-B Out aircraft with no help from the ground stations.

BothSupported.jpg

This transponder configuration change also applies to those using GTX330ES transponders, but in this case, the configuration change is made on the transponder itself.

We completed a test flight yesterday with this transponder configuration change and observed excellent operation, so we have no reason to believe that this issue has not been resolved as reported.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Is this a configuration change that needs to be made on currently flying G3X Touch?

Thanks

Hello Turner,

The answer to your question depends on how your transponder is currently configured.

A quick visit to the transponder page in configuration mode will let you verify whether or not your system was configured for the work-around, or is already configured like shown above - in which case no changes are needed.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Turner,

The answer to your question depends on how your transponder is currently configured.

A quick visit to the transponder page in configuration mode will let you verify whether or not your system was configured for the work-around, or is already configured like shown above - in which case no changes are needed.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks - I will check the configuration. Does this require using configuration mode?

....This transponder configuration change also applies to those using GTX330ES transponders, but in this case, the configuration change is made on the transponder itself.
I have the G3X Touch, GDL39R and the GTX330ES. Does this mean that the change needs to be made in both G3X Touch AND the GTX330ES?

If so, do you happen to have the instructions for making the changes in the GTX330ES as well? I can't seem to find any configuration information for the GTX330ES (I only find the 330 installation guide online.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the G3X Touch, GDL39R and the GTX330ES. Does this mean that the change needs to be made in both G3X Touch AND the GTX330ES?

If so, do you happen to have the instructions for making the changes in the GTX330ES as well? I can't seem to find any configuration information for the GTX330ES (I only find the 330 installation guide online.)

Thanks!

Hello Steve,

If you display the Transponder configuration page on your G3X Touch system you will notice that these fields are not configured on the GDU for the panel mount GTX330ES.

To edit these fields on the GTX330ES, press and hold the FUNC key while powering up to enter configuration mode.

Use the FUNC key to step forward through the configuration pages until you find the page with 1090 IN and UAT IN fields. Set both of these to YES. The Start/Stop key reverses through the pages if you go past this page. The 8,9 keys move through list selections.

Turner - yes you must enter configuration mode to make configuration changes of this type.

Thanks,
Steve

Back