What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fifth Point Install

Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
I have no experience using or installing a fifth point.
I am now to that point on my 9A. I installed the hardware a good while
back and now it's time to install the belt.
It's looks too long. I have Crow belts and I have both adjustments all the way
to the double webbing.
The lower adjust, just above the seat floor, I guess you never fool with it.
Does it go under some of the seat or come straight up to the buckle at the
back of the seat notch?
Both photos belt is as short as it can go.
What do I have wrong or don't understand.
I did not sit in the seat.
I have the rotary buckle, is it supposed to sit in your lap waist high?
Sure would appreciate some direction.

Hey Bert,
Looks like your getting close. I have the five point Crows and I don't remember the double strap being a problem.
Yes the strap is very short and will usually never get adjusted. Those look like Classic Aero seats so they should have a slot about 4" back from the notch.
I would have to get to my the plane and have a look to do any better.

Hey Bert,
I have an idea. Call me. I sent a PM.

The Crow belts that I have don't have the adjustment on the crotch strap, just the lap belts and shoulder belts.

IMG_0257-M.jpg

I drilled new correct size holes for the lap belts to mount on the brackets. The holes that come from Crow on the metal mounting tabs are way too big for an AN4 bolt.

IMG_4593-M.jpg

The bottom seat foam got a slit cut into it for the crotch strap to come up straight through.

IMG_6260-M.jpg

You can see the crotch strap only has the one adjustment that is fixed. It comes up through the bottom seat pad and once you get it correct for you, it shouldn't have to be adjusted any more. I have a little bit more length on the passenger side, since my passengers are usually a bit larger than I.

Hi Bert,

Our Aviator seats (like the ones you have) are designed to have the harness strap go through the slot in the seat when they are in the forward hinge position (Aviator in forward hinge is equal to stock frame in middle hinge). The strap can go through the cushion's stick opening when on the middle hinge.

I'm not too familiar with the crow harnesses, but that strap needs to be fairly short with the RV-7/RV-9. As the other guys said, it appears you may have gotten the wrong kind of strap. The ones I'm more familiar with don't have two adjustments on the 5th strap like you show in the picture. Hope this helps.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any other questions. We're here M-F 8:00-4:30 PST

IMG_0257-M.jpg

I drilled new correct size holes for the lap belts to mount on the brackets. The holes that come from Crow on the metal mounting tabs are way too big for an AN4 bolt.

Just a question, but are you sure the holes aren't oversized for a bushing? I had to put new seat belts in my Warrior a couple years ago and the holes were oversized and needed bushings. The A&P said that was so that the hard steel of the belt bracket wouldn't cut into the bolt.

Just a question, but are you sure the holes aren't oversized for a bushing? I had to put new seat belts in my Warrior a couple years ago and the holes were oversized and needed bushings. The A&P said that was so that the hard steel of the belt bracket wouldn't cut into the bolt.

The original holes are larger because the hardware comes from the auto racing industry.

No problems with drilling a new hole the correct size for RVs. You're only going to put a significant load on them once, at the maximum. Hopefully never.

EDIT: actually, what the OP shows as the 5th point (crotch) strap looks like the lap belt opposite the cam buckle, complete with pull-up adjustment. Maybe they sent you two lap belt pieces instead of one lap belt and one crotch strap? Contact Crow Enterprizes - they'll fix this for you.

Last edited:
I just received my Crow belts this week and I can adjust it to some degree with the one adjustment loop. Looks like the others posted. I've not put the seat bottoms in to check how lose it is when seated in the aircraft.

furfpi.jpg

By the way, Luke thanks for the great seats! Looking forward to the RV grin, in comfort!

No problem Robert. Jeremiah will probably be harassing you for some pictures when you get everything finished. Just let us know if you have any questions installing anything.

My Dumb Again

Thanks to everyone for the help. After seeing some of the pics and
talking to Mark, I went back and sorted and looked at ALL the straps.
And yep, there it was, the real 5th point strap without the two buckles.
Luke, thanks, and the slot is in the seat where it should be. Now if I
can get the electric trim answers I need.

Thanks for the thread Bert.
You gave me some good info and helped me decide on the final cockpit color.
I was going to spray some flat black but I really love the uniform gray. Very nice.

What It's All About

Thanks Larry. Another thing I am glad I did was get the sticks, roll
bar and wind screen support, stripped and then flat black power coated.
Here in South Louisiana it only cost me 125 and looks great.

Sticks

Thanks Larry. Another thing I am glad I did was get the sticks, roll
bar and wind screen support, stripped and then flat black power coated.
Here in South Louisiana it only cost me 125 and looks great.

Good tip. Thanks. I will probably do the same.

Back