What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Antenna Splitter for dual ADS-B IN?

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
Has anyone by any chance installed dual ADS-B IN receivers and used an antenna splitter to feed them? I am considering installing both a Dynon SV-ADSB-470 and a Garmin GDL-39R and would like to avoid installing two receiver antennas if possible. Any RF guys out there have an opinion?

And because inquiring minds want to know - I have both a Dynon Skyview and a Garmin GDU-375 in the panel which, for various reasons, I would like to receive ADS-B IN. Ah if only there were interface standards . . . . . .

Dan,
A splitter should work fine. Just make sure you get a quality one that covers both 978MHz and 1090MHz.

The downside to using a splitter is the signal loss. You can't split a signal without giving half the power to each device, so you lose some range when you do this.

A $20 transponder antenna is going to cost a lot less than a good splitter.

--Ian Jordan

Drilling Holes

Dan,
A splitter should work fine. Just make sure you get a quality one that covers both 978MHz and 1090MHz.

The downside to using a splitter is the signal loss. You can't split a signal without giving half the power to each device, so you lose some range when you do this.

A $20 transponder antenna is going to cost a lot less than a good splitter.

--Ian Jordan

Thanks for the response - good info.

The issue for me isn't the cost of the antenna or splitter, I just would like to avoid poking two more holes in the airframe and running two cables.

A lot of people have had good success with putting the little antennas that come with the unit inside the airplane (just not behind metal). I have them on my fiberglass doorposts (-10) and they work fine.

Yes, I think the Dynon will only work with the Dynon, Garmin only with the Garmin. Not universally true - GRT and WingX will work with a number of different ADSB-in boxes.

Back