What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 396 or 496

dwilson

Well Known Member
Wondering why anyone would want to pay $600 extra for taxi maps and pre installed city map info in the 496.

Is there any other advantage to the 496 like more processor speed or some other compelling reason to go withthe 496 vs 396?

Duane

dwilson said:
Wondering why anyone would want to pay $600 extra for taxi maps and pre installed city map info in the 496.

Is there any other advantage to the 496 like more processor speed or some other compelling reason to go withthe 496 vs 396?

Duane
SmartTaxi, SmartAirspace, AOPA airports database, the terrain rendering is much nicer, it includes automotive maps & database, etc., etc.

And don't forget

the 496 has a much larger jep data base now with private airports!

Not just that! The 496 has a much faster GPS engine, providing 5 readings per second (5 Hz) compared to the 1 Hz update rate of the 296/396.

Was just reading on Flying magazine a few days ago on how the faster update rate helps to use the basic T shown on the GPS screen in a way much similar to a basic T made of standard instruments. OK, yes, I know the difference between airspeed vs GPS speed, and heading vs GPS track, and baro altitude vs GPS altitude, but what the heck, if some instrument dies on you and you already have in the cockpit a pretty darn good GPS as backup, then why not use it! :D

Ciao, Luca
(296 owner thinking about upgrading to a 496...)

lucaberta said:
OK, yes, I know the difference between airspeed vs GPS speed, and heading vs GPS track, and baro altitude vs GPS altitude, but what the heck, if some instrument dies on you and you already have in the cockpit a pretty darn good GPS as backup, then why not use it!
Luca,

You make a great point. I wouldn't want to put it to the test unless I'm forced to, but if it came down to it, I'm comforted having that "panel" functionality as a last resort backup, that's for danm sure.

dan said:
I wouldn't want to put it to the test unless I'm forced to, but if it came down to it, I'm comforted having that "panel" functionality as a last resort backup, that's for danm sure.
not to forget that the 296/396/496 series have integrated rechargeable battery, so even in case of a complete loss of electric, you have a few hours operations of a device that gives you a ton of useful information, including weather for you lucky ones on the right side of the pond... well, right side as seen from the North pole, that is! :D

Ciao, Luca

Not to take anything away from Garmin since the 396/496 units are pretty fantastic but you don't hear many people talk about these guys.

http://www.aviationsafety.com/products.htm

What makes me bring it up is you can get a remote gyro and use it as a true gyro backup (someone earlier mentioned the flight instruments backup capabilities of the garmin)

It also does this neat thing where it superimposes your position on the enroute chart.

Plus all the XM weather stuff, terrain avoidance, blah blah blah. The database updates are also a whole lot cheaper.

Anyhow, I'm in the market for a more capable aviation GPS to replace my Airmap 1000. I'm torn between this and the 496. Frankly, I'm leaning towards these guys. Seems like it's a little better as a strictly aviation GPS although the Garmin is probably nicer overall.

It's a little off topic but I thought the gyro capability was relavant.

lucaberta said:
...Was just reading on Flying magazine a few days ago on how the faster update rate helps to use the basic T shown on the GPS screen in a way much similar to a basic T made of standard instruments. ...if some instrument dies on you and you already have in the cockpit a pretty darn good GPS as backup, then why not use it! :D

Ciao, Luca
(296 owner thinking about upgrading to a 496...)
I'm a 396 owner and think the instrument page could get one of a fix, maybe. The trouble is by the time you realize you are having problems things are probably already marginal.

Then you have to go to that page by pushing the page button, I don't remember how many times, THEN a warning comes up that covers the page (this is apparently to make things safer), THEN we have to read the warning and agree that we will not rely on this bad information, THEN we have to find the button on the GPS to acknowlege they we have red and understand that we should not rely on the bad information, THEN we have to press the button we found, THEN if we are still alive we can use the pseudo instrument panel.

Of course one could do this every time one starts up, if one was that disciplined.

Now I try not to generalize about any group or profession, but when I see things like this that pretend to help safety, while doing the exact opposite, it takes all my self control.

n5lp said:
Of course one could do this every time one starts up, if one was that disciplined.
wow, never knew I was *that* disciplined! :) When I turn on the GPS, I always scroll thru all the pages and get rid of the disclaimers, so they won't get in the way should I need, for instance, the detailed terrain map.

Now I try not to generalize about any group or profession, but when I see things like this that pretend to help safety, while doing the exact opposite, it takes all my self control.
you're free to not use them, if this takes all your self control.

But if I were you, I'd invest some time in better training on the GPS unit. Might not hurt.

Ciao, Luca

jcoloccia said:
Not to take anything away from Garmin since the 396/496 units are pretty fantastic but you don't hear many people talk about these guys.

http://www.aviationsafety.com/products.htm

What makes me bring it up is you can get a remote gyro and use it as a true gyro backup (someone earlier mentioned the flight instruments backup capabilities of the garmin)

It also does this neat thing where it superimposes your position on the enroute chart.

Plus all the XM weather stuff, terrain avoidance, blah blah blah. The database updates are also a whole lot cheaper.

Anyhow, I'm in the market for a more capable aviation GPS to replace my Airmap 1000. I'm torn between this and the 496. Frankly, I'm leaning towards these guys. Seems like it's a little better as a strictly aviation GPS although the Garmin is probably nicer overall.

It's a little off topic but I thought the gyro capability was relavant.

John look here it is a steal if it is what you want

Last edited:
Back