What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon EMS D-10 - Firewall Penetration for Probes

ufcpa

Guys- I posted this on Dynon's forums site a few days ago, got no response. Hoping someone can share their knowledge.

I'm considering the purchase of the D-10A and the EMS D-10, and am limited as to the amount/size of wiring that I have space to pass through my firewall. Can anyone tell me whether I will be able to pass all of the required wires through a 1 inch diameter hole in the firewall? Planning on 6 EGT, 6 CHT, MP, Tach, Oil Press, Oil Temp, fuel flow, fuel press, maybe carb temp.

Thanks.

5 lbs of .... in a 1 lb sack

ufcpa said:
pass all of the required wires through a 1 inch diameter hole in the firewall? Planning on 6 EGT, 6 CHT, MP, Tach, Oil Press, Oil Temp, fuel flow, fuel press, maybe carb temp. Thanks.
No. :rolleyes:

Assuming you have everything under the cowl, MP, FF transducers/senders, you are looking at about ??? 36 wires, give or take 5. EGT/CHT requires two wires for each channel (egt & cht: (2) x 6 cyl x 2 wires = 24), and they are thermocouple wires, which are a little more chunky than 22 awg wire.

My point is drill a larger hole or make another hole. I can't imagine that there's not enough firewall to add more pass through. You also have to allow for the grommet and seal as well.

In general the FF and MAP senders are on the cool side of the cowl, but you typically run a Vac line into the cockpit, if there is not one already.

(Note: This is my estimate based on a EIS4000 4 cyl system with all the goodies you mentioned. The dynon is similar, plus you have two more channels of egt/cht.)

I used two 3/4 in. holes for mine. One on each side of the firewall just above the motor mount bolts.

Bryan Carr

Carr said:
I used two 3/4 in. holes for mine. One on each side of the firewall just above the motor mount bolts.

Bryan Carr

Ditto that, but if the 1 inch hole the original author referred to is remaining size AFTER accounting for bushings or whatever, I think it might be possible.

ufcpa said:
Guys- I posted this on Dynon's forums site a few days ago, got no response. Hoping someone can share their knowledge.

I'm considering the purchase of the D-10A and the EMS D-10, and am limited as to the amount/size of wiring that I have space to pass through my firewall. Can anyone tell me whether I will be able to pass all of the required wires through a 1 inch diameter hole in the firewall? Planning on 6 EGT, 6 CHT, MP, Tach, Oil Press, Oil Temp, fuel flow, fuel press, maybe carb temp.

Thanks.

Considering we produce both of those harnesses, and have literally hundreds of them on the shelf, I can say - maybe but probably not!

But....(they're is always an if...)...if the finished ID of the hole is 1", then both will probably fit. If the raw hole is 1" OD, then you need a grommet in there, your ID will probably be somewhere along the lines of 5/8" which is too small. Each bundle is close to that size on their own - and the 6cyl CHT/EGT harness has 12 jacketed AWG20 pairs running together..... Neither is sheathed, so you could flatten them a bit, but the better option is just to go with 2 holes....as the thermocouple wires are a bit stiffer than the sensor harness.

If you can get another hole then that's the way to go. If not, like George said, don't try too hard to cram too much in there....bad things happen to wire bundles that are squeezed to tightly over time.

Cheers,
Stein.

RV6 Flying
RV7 Finishing....still.....
Minneapolis

Here is how I ran the wires for my EMS D10. (Click on them to enlarge.)

Sub-Panel:

Firewall:

Ken,

I used SB 625-8, which means they have a 1/2" diameter opening.

Just be careful where you put the holes. The wire penetrations I have keep me from lifting the battery straight up and out. Duh! I will have to lift it out of the box, move it towards the center of the firewall and then up and out.

Back