What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB or ADSB+

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Question for avionocs gurus. I just got my GTN650 software upgraded and have all the latest versions in all avionics.

My question is about the difference between ADSB and ADSB+. I have a Trig TT31 transponder and the way I understand it, the plus part of the ADSB out of the 650 is for Garmin equipment linkd to it but not other brands.

Anybody know if this is correct? My ADSB out passes the test right now and Im wondering if I need to change to the plus setting.

This is from the TT31 installation manual. Emphasis added

"With the Garmin ADS-B protocol selected, the TT31 is compatible with both the Garmin ADSB and Garmin ADSB Plus protocols.

NOTE: GPS sources providing data using the Garmin ADSB protocol will not meet all the FAA requirements contained in FAR 91.227. For installers seeking compliance in the USA, the GPS source must use the Garmin ADS-B Plus protocol."

What Bill.Peyton said: Use ADS-B+ to be 2020 compliant within US airspace.

NOTE: GPS sources providing data using the Garmin ADSB protocol will not meet all the FAA requirements contained in FAR 91.227. For installers seeking compliance in the USA, the GPS source must use the Garmin ADS-B Plus protocol."

:cool:

You must use ADSB+, ADSB (no +) was a mistake. Also, your TT31 must have software 3.12 or higher to read the plus output.

Hey Jerry,
On the Dynon Skyview which I am sure is similar to yours it was the ADSB+
that finally worked. And a new software 12.2 for the Dynon.

Have you done gone to the FAA test page to see your results.
It is called the US Department of Transportation
Federal Aviation Administration
ADS-B Compliance Monitor
You make a short 1/2 hour flight, send an email to this address with the following information

[email protected] with the following information:
•Aircraft N-Number
•ADS-B Manufacturer and Model #
•Position Source Manufacturer and Model #

And you'll receive a full report of your flight in about a day.
any red boxes... you've still got issues to deal with.

Jack

Last edited:
Back