What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Delaware to Texas and back, the long way

Bob Gordon

I needed to spend a business week in the Dothan (DHN) Alabama area, followed by a special vacation week in Killeen (KILE) Texas and had the opportunity to fly my 6. I picked our plane over "theirs" and what a great time it was.

Packed with enough stuff to survive a week of business and a week of vacation, I launched solo from home base, Delaware Airpark (33N) for three hours in clear, calm weather. Landed at Thomson-McDuffy Airport (KHQU) just west of Augusta, GA. What a neat spot - you can tell you are in thoroughbred country and the upscale terminal reflected this. I sat in one of the rockers out front and had lunch. After fueling, another 1.5 hours got me to Dothan for a week of business. The folks at FlightLine of Dothan were more than gracious, allowing me to stay hangared for the duration. Right next to a few King Airs and a Cessna Sovereign. How good can it get....

The next Saturday I launched out of DHN for Killeen, TX with a fuel stop in Lufkin, TX (KLFK). There was an overcast layer at 2400 feet that kept me low for the first 15 minutes. A large hole off to the south allowed me to pop up to VFR over-the-top, complete with flight following. I flight follow at every opportunity. Tops were at 4100 feet and it was a smooth white carpet as far as the eye could see. Not a ripple in the air. Right on cue, the overcast dissipated at the Mississippi state line and the rest of the flight was CAVU, cruising at 6500 feet. I hand fly because at 160 hours I have not yet installed an altitude hold / autopilot. The panel has room, not to worry. So, at 3.3 hours Lufkin was a welcome sight.

I noticed a couple of Pitts and several other experimentals launching to the north and found out they were heading 40 miles north to the Reklaw fly-in. So much to do, so little time..... And what a great day for it. I am sure it was a success. But I needed to meet Barb in Killeen. After fuel and a (free) cup of coffee, I launched for Killeen, flying over relatively flat green prairie. The blue sky went for a million miles.

Shortly after lunchtime, I landed at Killeen and my wife was waiting. We gathered there to welcome our middle son back from Iraq. He was there for a year with the Army, just outside An Najaf in a forward operating base (FOB Duke). While there, he drove the First Sergeant and made regular trips on the local roads into Najaf to assist in securing the government offices. He drove over 3,000 miles in Iraq. The welcoming ceremony was fun, crazy and loud. We were so happy to see him run into the Fort Hood rec building along with the rest of his unit. A huge relief. The week with him could not be beat, no way.

I flew with him on one trip to Hicks (T67) for that $100 hamburger and a walk down to Avery's. We lived in Keller, just down the road and used to drive out to Hicks for dinner, watch planes and those killer sunsets. That was when I was shooting my spars together.

I flew with Barb to Brenham, TX (11R) for lunch. We sat on the screened porch at the restaurant, overlooking a pond. Another great day that we could not have experienced without our RV. Several of the local folk came out to watch us fly off northwest back to Killeen.

Well, the week ended and we had to head east. After executing a "low pass" for Matt, we set our sights for Tupelo (KTUP). Once again great weather, and we landed there 3.1 hours later. The best price on 100LL is self serve at the north ramp. A fine (unattended) GA "terminal" is open to all transient pilots. Another classy place with many services including weather, computer, shower, lounge, flight planning room, and a dining room. On the honor system, you can buy snacks, candy, or a quart of oil.

We were chasing a huge low that was finding its way up the east coast causing us to review further flights east. We had hoped to fly TUP northeast to Knoxville, TN (KDKX) for an overnight but the huge wraparound of cloud from that low spawned Airmets and MTOS, so we aimed straight east and experienced Rome, GA (RMG) for an overnight stay. Situated at the foothills of the southern Appalachians, this airport has two runways, a friendly staff and good (inexpensive) local lodging. The colors were at their best which lit up the countryside and ridge lines.

The home stretch skirted around the Appalachians and hugged the eastern foothills, all painted red and orange. With that low clearing the air, we could see for 40 miles (a fantastic amount for the coastal plains). Up past Winston Salem, Asheville, Hickory with a fuel stop at Hanover County, VA (KOFP). The courtesy car we used for lunch was a new Mercedes! Staff was right on.

The last 45 minute leg saw us snaking around the many restricted areas north of Richmond and around the Patuxent River area. The great vis allowed us great views of the Chesapeake Bay and Delmarva peninsula. After saying goodby to flight following for the last time, we found home and were the only ones in the pattern. After shutdown, Barb and I sat a minute to recall all that happened in the past two weeks. Important things happened, sights were seen. No one who takes trips like this can forget them. What a fine travelling machine, this RV6. N681GP.

Excellent story. I'm glad you were able to see your son. We appreciate what he is doing for us.

The mecedes was kool too. Great trip.

Back