What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Firewall sound proofing blanket

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I've been meaning to post this for a while and just remembered. When you are building you don't think about the firewall sound proofing/fireproof blanket until you are about done. Well this is about the worst time to try to prepare for it.

So, while you have the front end open, or at least good access, make templates for sections of the blanket. If you have the blanket material, cut and test fit now. You will be much happier and won't be bleeding all over everything.

When everything is done all you will have to do cut the appropriate holes and slots in the blanket for the firewall pass throughs and glue in place.

Sure, now you tell me. :)

This is good advice folks. I've left the firewall blanket til the end and expect it to be a major hassle.

I have been working on riveting the fuselage side skins now. I have been staring at the firewall wondering about the issues of firewall blankets. So my question is then, when is the best time to be preparing the firewall blanket? Before the upper forward fuselage skins are placed and the instrument panel is put in? Is there anything to consider when working on it this far in advance?

I have been looking at my FW area, and about to close that up with the upper FWD fuse.

Is the FW blankets worth it?
Has the Vans demo planes got them installed?
Any comments on before and after, appreciated.

Thanks
Rudi

I agree with Darwin. I'd say the best plan is to cut out the firewall material right after you finish riveting the firewall or any time after that. You have to fit it between the firewall stiffeners. Then later after you have all the firewall penetrations figured out, cut holes in the material and install it.

Anyone got a favorite material. I bought some foam soundproofing from Aircraft Spruce for the floor (for under and over the brake and fuel lines), but I'm guessing that's not what I should use for the firewall.

Can I borrow your templates?

Hey Dave,

Did you happen to pull templates for yours? If so, I may need to borrow those after you're done :D

Jim

firewall - wall protecting me from fire

Davepar said:
I ordered this stuff from AS&S:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/firewallblanket.php
But have no experience with it yet. Dave

The last line in Spruce description of this product may be the most significant. "It is not fireproof and is not an actual firewall material." An earlier message on Doug's website spoke to an engine fire and how quickly it burned the legs of the pilot.

Me thinks I shall look for a more suitable product. Any other suggestions?

I think what they're saying there is that you can't use the stuff to make a piece of wood or aluminum into a firewall. Since the RV firewall is made of stainless steel, I'm not worried about fire getting through it. I just want a material that will cut down some of the noise and heat.

Dave

Stoping the heat

Take a look at a product that Spruce sells called Fiberfrax. It's a flexable material that is about 1/8" thick made from ceramic fibers. The product resists temps up to 2300 degrees. Easy to work with.
Dan B
Mesa, AZ

JC Whitney

I used the stuff from JC Whitney with the silver backing. Definitely reduces the heat penetration from the firewall.

Make those templates early and cut the pieces as you take a break from other tedious work. As noted, after you get the everything done you can make the cuts and fit them in place.

Finally install will result in some bloodshed, not getting around it.

Insulation from JC Whitney???

RV7Guy said:
I used the stuff from JC Whitney with the silver backing. Definitely reduces the heat penetration from the firewall.

Darwin:

Please post the part number or description from JC Whitney.

Thanks.
Barry - RV9A
Tucson

Tip: Firewall soundproofing

Hey, not advocating the company or product but if you are interested go to www.soundexproducts.com... He will sell you the kits or bulk material. The kits have the templates as well. He was in the back tents at Sun& Fun...seems a bit pricey, but it is another option.

1" Fireproof foam

I brought mine from http://www.fly-gbi.com. Nice people.
They supplied templates which were very accurate.
I applied a cigarette lighter to the foam and it simple melted, but would not ignite.
After cutting out the shapes, I used contact adhesive to attach Builder's Aluminium (Alais Aloominum) window flashing (about 0.020") to one side of the foam. I glued the insulation to the firewall with the Aluminium facing aft.

The insulation was installed when the fuse was complete, but before starting the canopy OR RIVETING THE FORESKIN ON.

GeoBeck also provided 1" foam for the floor which is equal to the height of the floor Longerons.

I have never sensed any heat transmission through the firewall and the cockpit temp is controllable with eyeball vent air even on a 40?C Aussie day.
Pete.

sound proofing

In Spruces catalog tey have what they call super soundproofing sheet that is recomended for firewalls. I used it on my floor and firewall and foward fusalage sides ahead of instrument panel. I don't know if it makes the plane any quieter or not as I have nothing to judge it by. I did it mostly on the firewall to keep the engine heat out and maybe make it a little quieter

RV-9A, o-320, C/S prop, steam guages.

Back