What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

David Clark X11

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
These are my impressions of my new X11s. I haven't used that many different headsets and I haven't done A/B comparisons, so this is very subjective.

I have used different LS models in friend's airplanes and have never been tempted to purchase a pair. One reason is that they don't seem reliable. Everyone says Light Speed has good service, but they need it. I also found that they seemed kind of flimsy; for instance I have had trouble keeping the mike boom where I want it.

In the past I have used some Bose NR headsets and thought they were OK, but too expensive and complicated with the plug in power and all. Recently I took a two day trip in an RV that had some Bose headsets with a battery box with auto turn-off. I don't know what model they were. They were nice and helped make the trip real pleasant. At no time did they do anything annoying, they just reduced the noise and didn't get uncomfortable, even on 4 hour legs.

This made me think that maybe I'm ready for noise reduction headsets. Trouble is, I'm not much of a Bose guy. Things about the marketing and pricing, compared to the competition, just rub me the wrong way. But hey! I have always loved my David Clarks, that I have been using for more than 20 years, with no problems. And David Clark has a great reputation for reliability, and they just came out with a new NR model that has some nice features.

So I sprang for the X11, on the basis of not much but David Clark's reputation. I couldn't find much in the way of reports. Here we go!

They seem well built. I did read one report about difficulty keeping the mike boom in position. I have had no problems like that. I'm not crazy about the folding feature. It makes it possible to put them in a smaller space, but they want to fold all the time, even when I'm just trying to put them on the hanger in my airplane.

They are light and have light clamping force. I think one of the nice features is the assymetrical ear cups that are larger toward the lower back, where your skull recedes. Makes sense.

In the pictures the top looks thinner. I liked that because I have to get up high to see in my 6 and I bump my head a lot in turbulence. In practice, though, these seem to hit just as soon and with less cushioning.

The interface/battery box is kind of clunky and large but the interface part works well. Audio through the box/headset combination is not close to hifi, but it works. The cell phone interface is one of the big reasons I wanted these headsets and it works well also. I have called my own answering machine in flight and you can't tell the call is from an airplane, but there is sort of a strange interrupted or fluttery type quality to it. There is an auto-turnoff feature to spare the two AA batteries.

The noise reduction is not near as pleasant as the Bose model I recently experienced. There are many artifacts. When you are taxiing you get a motor boating throbbing kind of sound and this also occurs often in flight, like every time you hit a bump. I guess it is better than nothing, but this is the one thing that makes me wonder if it was a wise purchase. In a way it is more annoying than the constant passive reduction of my old DCs. I would like to be able to do an A/B comparison with the Bose, but I can't.

Overall B+, NR C-.

Your's is the first report I've seen. I love my David Clark ANR's but recently got the Bose for Ellen and I (I had to return my Halo, unfortunately. I LOVED that thing but I discovered I had an ear problem that is agravated by wearing ear plugs....bummer :( ). I'm glad to see that someone's finally bought them and tried them out.

I was wondering if I'd made the right decision given the X-11's. I'm sure someone in New Mexico has a set of Bose they wouldn't mind lending you for a ride in your -6. Then you both of you could do a side by side comparison and post the final verdict.

Now THAT would be cool. :D

Heasdset comparison

I've had the Bose ANRs for about 3 years and like them, except they hurt the top of my head after about an hour. Most people I know with them say they are very comfortable, however.

Anyway, because of that, I tried the Lightspeed 30-3G. Comfy, but I did not like the volume/power control box. And, I often heard strange static noises in them. Then I tried the Lightspeed Mach1 in-ear setup. Loud, and moved around ear/head a lot. These may be good with a molded earpiece, but did not try that.

Tried the DC X-11. Comfy as well. But the ANR is not nearly as good as the Bose, IMO. And by that I mean they seemed quite loud and there was always that rumbling noise that the other ANR headsets got rid of.

So now I'm on to the Quiet Tech Halo in-ear headset. Just got 'em, so don't have anything to report. Yet.

My buddy and I both tried the X11...

we bought them at Osh and promptly returned them when we got home. They looked great and felt great but the noise reduction was terrible, not near as good as the 20XLC I had been using the past 2 years (I prefered the 20xlc over the 30G). Since then, I have gotten the new Bose which I am enjoying very much, noise reduction is a little better than 20XLC and I do find them more comfortable.

Bose wins side by side comparison

Flew to OSH '06 with Bose X bought at OSH the year before. The intention was to buy two more for the new airplane but got convinced by a vendor that the DC X11 was BETTER and CHEAPER...my wife did like the cell phone plug in feature and it did work quite well...however...after one flight we returned the DC X11 for most of the same reasons listed above, especially the NR breaks experienced in flight.

Lesson Learned: Bose is expensive but that is because they are worth it!

Jetj01
RV-6
RV-4

another 1 2 check out

If you are in the market for a good head set w/ ANR...look at the Softcomm C-300. These are under $500 and have cell phone jacks as well. I have an older pair of ANR's and used them to and from OshKosh this year (from AZ)...they never bothered me. Just another 2 cents thrown in.
Dan B.
Mesa, AZ

How About a DC with "Headsets" NC?

Has anyone gotten the "Headsets" Inc noise canceling modification done -- as advertised in Kitplanes, etc? They "brag" in their ad about their EE going to MIT, and wonder if any of our RV crowd has had a chance to give them a whirl? Would that be a better alternative to the DC X11 -- getting our old DCs just electronically updated?

Headsets Inc.

When I started flight training I purchased a new David Clark 13.4 passive headset. When my PPL was finished and I moved up to a louder and MUCH noisier C-185, I decided to to but the Headsets Inc. ANR modification in my headset. It took about 3-4 hours to solder everything into place and run the new and old wires though some shrink tubing so that I had "one" cord still coming from the headset. I have been very pleased with this modification. It drastically cuts down on the noise when the ANR is turned on. Passengers are always asking me to "turn up the volume" so they can hear better with their non-ANR headsets. The only trouble I have had is that occasionally I will get a little chirp every 10 seconds while descending. It is the strangest thing, but it is not very annoying becaused I can hear the strobes in the back ground anyways.
This is how much I have into the whole system:
D.C. 13.4 headset: $250
Headset Inc. ANR modules: $130

Prices may vary, as this was about 3-4 years ago. Still going strong with over 500+ hours on the headset.

I purchased a Headsets Inc. kit for my old David Clark about 3 years ago :D . Overall have been pleased with the performance. I have had some problems with some kind of feedback-like squeal while descending. Headsets replaced the modules twice, then a thicker ear seal. The thicker seal seems to work. :D

New to the forum. Installed Headsets Inc. NC modules when they first hit the market many, many years ago in a DC 10-80, DC 10-20, and a Softcom model for my FI. About 45 minutes each to install, never a problem since, use them today. Always stop and chat with their people at Sun n Fun and Oshkosh each year. Obviously they are as comfortable as the headsets - but the NC feature is awesome. Why pay $800-$1000 when for something under $500 you get a ton of value. I havent had the chance to A/B compare them side to side with the new DC X11s or any Bose model - but in the airplane, a lot for $500.

I bought the Headsets Inc kit for my DC 13.4 about 10 years ago. Used them in my Mooney for many hours and use them in the RV9a today. I have never had a problem with them and the NC is verry effective. I do have the better gel seals on the headsets. I have not had a chance to do a "one after the other" comparison with other units but have used both the Bose and LS ANRs in friends' planes. I can say I much prefer the DC over the LS and perceive no difference in comfort or effectiveness between the Bose and the DC13.4 with the Headset Inc kit.

Cheers,

db

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in real quick.

Wife surprised me with Bose headset when I would have gotten lightspeed at a 2 to 1 savings for the ANR.

Love the performance.

Have made 3+ hour XC without any comfort issue, didn't even have to shift it and honestly didn't know it was there on landing, multiple flights like this.

comfort=A, noise reduction A, wish the battery box hung a foot farther from jack plugs is ONLY gripe. Just changed the batteries 1st time in 6 mos, 20+ hours flight, maybe 30.

Tried DC X11 on 4 hours of XC recently. Just as comfortable, noise reduction STUNK. I'd be very PO'd if I layed out ~$700 on these. Frequently had a throbbing /surging/ loud/ very obvious flaw in the ANR. This was in a 172 at cruise and steady state.

Comfort A, Noise reduction C-. Probably no hearing loss or damage going on but come on, for 700 bucks!!!! My passive cheapo headset is less intrusive or distracting and therefore safer IMHO.

DC X11 NOT reccommended. I want to try lightspeed and halo before final verdict but bottom line there is a reason Bose hasn't dropped their price much since introducing the their ANR, no real competition??

David Clark X11 dissapointmen

I am extremely dissapointed with the X11s. After three pairs, they have all had issues- the same or similar issues - as said before by others, it seems DC is lacking in the technology and the quality control. Snaps, scratches, pops, buzzes, squeaks, throbbing are the issues I've encountered. Really, really dissapointed I spent $800 on these.

Shaun

Dave Clark vs DRE Communications

I fly a Cassutt and the only thing I've experienced any louder is the flight deck of a Sikorsky helio with a big round engine in its nose. The DRE model 6000, for which I paid $300 was wonderful in this environment. Unfortunately, they are no longer in business. I bought two new D/C X-11's at Sun-N-Sun this year for use in my soon to be completed Zenith 601XL ( was building an RV-6 but medical problems dictated switching to something in the LSA category). One of the X-11s malfunctioned in the first hour and had to be sent to the factory for repair. The electronic noise reduction (ENR) feature of the X-11 is not NEARLY as effective as the DRE6000. Surely D/C will make improvements and offer an upgrade in the X-11, if for no other reason than to protect their reputation. As a professional pilot friend once told me, just about everyone who makes their living in aviation uses David Clark. The 601XL powered with a 6 cylinder Jabiru with a muffler surely will be quieter than the Cassutt, and the performance of the X-11 may be tolerable. I still would not swap my $300 DRE6000 for David Clark's $800 X-11.

Back