What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Font for Canadian aircraft marks

Bevan

Well Known Member
Is there a particular font that works (meets the regs) and looks good? What did you use and why? The discussion should also include size.

Bevan

The TC regulations only specify an unadorned Roman font. This does not mean a specific catalog font, only that is not Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.

The MD-RA publishes a recommendation based on the WWII practice of using masking tape and paint brushes. Go to a sign shop and start with Arial font with adjustments to stroke width and hyphen length as required.

Use 30 cm height if you want to fly in ADIZ or countries other than the USA or Canada.

If you have any doubt, talk to an aircraft paint shop... They do this every day.

As long as the font meets the height and width requirements, and isn't serifed, it should be fine. Small letters on the tail plus big ones under the wings, or big ones on the side of the fuselage, take your pick. MD-RA has had their fingers rapped for not enforcing registration marking requirements lately, so you'll probably be held to code.

If you like the straight line look, the standard USAF font meets the requirements, including the one that the stroke width is 1/6 of the height.

Arial, Helvetica etc. may come close but are usually not exact.

http://www.tlai.com/med_des/ausafpro.html

amusafpts1.gif

glad to help

Bevan, drop me an email with your reg, and I'll provide a dozen fonts for your perusal, then we'll massage one to make it fit the regs. I can superimpose on a 3-view of your bird if you like, to help decide on the fuse or tail/wing lettering.

fully 90% of the lettering i see taxi by every day does NOT meet the regs....some of them laughable. Yesterday, green on green lettering with a green shadow, on a rockwell 112tc. yikes!!

paint shops that should know, apparently don't have a clue, or just do what the owner's wife says she wants!

Bevan; take Perry up on his offer; he knows his stuff with fonts and lettering! Helped me big time when I was looking for fonts for my airplane name.

By the way, the regs are ok with the letters being moderately italicized for a bit of visual accent while staying within the rules.

Good advice Gerry. Spoke to Perry the other day. We'll work on a cad file together that I can take to the local sign shop for cutting. Now back to putting the colour scheme on. :)

Bevan

Last edited:
Back