What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR on top

C. Brenden

Well Known Member
I had an interesting situation yesterday when approach called and said that a C172 they were handing off to me was VFR-ON-TOP. I acknowledged and pressed on with what I was doing. Before I took the handoff, I saw that the C172 was 90 degrees off course and headed for an active MOA. I called approach back and asked where the pilot was headed. The approach controller said he was VFR-ON-TOP like that made it ok. I told the controller to put the aircraft back on course.

Even controllers get confused when they come upon things they don't see very often!

I had an interesting situation yesterday when approach called and said that a C172 they were handing off to me was VFR-ON-TOP. I acknowledged and pressed on with what I was doing. Before I took the handoff, I saw that the C172 was 90 degrees off course and headed for an active MOA. I called approach back and asked where the pilot was headed. The approach controller said he was VFR-ON-TOP like that made it ok. I told the controller to put the aircraft back on course.

Even controllers get confused when they come upon things they don't see very often!

Maybe they were even more confused, and it was actually VFR over the top with flight following?

Back