What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trio Ez Auto Pilot Servo Installation

micboy

Hi,
Need some help... do you think that this setup will work.... I am having second thoughts re the end point...

Photos below any feedback is much appreciated.
Servo%20controll%20arm.jpg

Last edited:
Trio rigging

I may be way off... but that does not look at all like the finished servo attachments I have seen from Trio for roll control.
They have fantastic customer support, even if you bought the gear second hand. I would look at the suggested install and their drawings first.
Maybe send your picture to them.
It looks odd to me... and with the servos, you have to prevent any over center travel at all costs.

Unless someone painted the servo, it's not like trio gold servo in the anodized case.
I'd go to the trio avionics site as they have excellent instructions & downloadable PDFs

I installed mine on the wingtip but others install it at the mid wing bellcrank.
Http://www.TrioAvionics.com

Hi,

I did not explain my self properly sorry :(

I have a Ez Auto pilot with a Navaid servo... the photo I uploaded is my setup I edited this with paint to show you how I intend to install this..original photo here below

2015-04-03%2016.29.59.jpg

what worries me is the extended length of the bell crank. Will this work if I install this next to the ball link with an small extension plate? I am worried about the throw (movement) on the ailerons this will be minimal..

Also do you know the torque out put of the Navaid servo... as the only option I have is make a longer servo arm as below

extended%20servo%20arm.jpg

I have contacted Trio they are extremely helpful... loads of information he sent me...

Tx

In your pictures is it mandatory to mount the servo there? I can't imagine a simple workable linkage arrangement.

Trio unfortunately don't have many drawings of example installations, try their
EZ Altitude Control Operation & Installation Manual, page 15. This is a RV pitch servo installation example- imagine mounting your servo similar to this except in a vertical orientation. A better picture of same situation from Trutrak's website under Resources -> Drawings -> RV679 Pitch Servo Installation. Note the linkage positions.

Also study Trio's as well other brand's descriptions on how to determine what radius the holes should be so linkage movements are effective & SAFE. Sometimes other brands explain it in a more understandable way.

Looking at your install. The servo doesn't have as much throw was the control arm, for that reason the attach point must be between the push rod and the pivot point. Right now you show an extension and it beyond the pushrod which would severely limit the throw.

Hi,

Here is what I have... I did try to test fly it and it does track well however I have noticed the servo disengaging once when I switch this on in wing leveller function (I was in a 30 degree bank) and wanted to see if this will level automatically but the servo disengaged because of the extra long servo arm :( this is loading the servo.

I will try to reduce this and do a small extension arm on the bell crank exactly were I have the linkage and check the throw in flight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqs34qv6fbiidfv/2015-04-11 07.30.45.jpg?dl=0

Regards

Back