What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X w/ Freeflight 1201 GPS for ADS-B out?

maus92

Well Known Member
Anybody tried using a Freeflight 1201 GPS position source with Garmin's G3X system yet? I'm almost finished installing the cabling for my retrofit avionics, and I'm reconsidering waiting for Garmin to release their own position source to complete a 2020 compliant ADS-B solution for VFR aircraft - I cannot justify spending $4,500 - 8,000 for a GTN at this point. The Freeflight 1201 seems to be the only TSO'd GPS source on the market right now.

And if I go this way, who actually sells the Freeflight box to experimental aircraft builders?

I haven't hooked one up to a 330 but it looks like its an approved install:

LIST OF COMPLAINT ADS-B TRANPONDERS AND UAT?S THAT INTERFACE TO THE 1201:
GTX-330ES
See Garmin AML 005-00734-05
Garmin Mode S Transponder with Mode ES ADS-B Out functionality

I can check on the STC Monday, I can also supply you a unit.

I haven't hooked one up to a 330 but it looks like its an approved install:

LIST OF COMPLAINT ADS-B TRANPONDERS AND UAT?S THAT INTERFACE TO THE 1201:
GTX-330ES
See Garmin AML 005-00734-05
Garmin Mode S Transponder with Mode ES ADS-B Out functionality

I can check on the STC Monday, I can also supply you a unit.

Thx. I have the GTX23ES transponder and the GDL39R if this helps.

I'll try to find out if they are compatable.
Maybe the G3X team can jump in here and help?

I have the Freeflight 1201 and GTX330ES hooked up to my GDU375 and am getting ADSb OUT full compliance.

It was the best system for me since I have an AFS5400, GDU375 and GTx330 setup.

G3X

maus 92

I have the same setup...i'm looking at the freeflight FDL-978-TX/L for $ 2000, out in june, but I hope Garmin comes up with an approved source to feed the GTX 23 ES. if not i'll probably go with freeflight. see equipit2020.com

jim v

maus 92

I have the same setup...i'm looking at the freeflight FDL-978-TX/L for $ 2000, out in june, but I hope Garmin comes up with an approved source to feed the GTX 23 ES. if not i'll probably go with freeflight. see equipit2020.com

jim v

I've seen that, but ideally I want to use ES to transmit my ADS-B position. The FDL-978-TXL is an option, but I'd like to see a simple position source that meets the specs of the TSO, considering that I've already spent several thousand on an ES transponder and UAT receiver.

The G3X already has a WAAS GPS (though admittedly not certified.) I'm using this as my ADS-B position source and it works perfectly, very accurate. Will make changes as necessary for 2020, seems crazy to have to go to a different company than Garmin for a GPS source.

The G3X already has a WAAS GPS (though admittedly not certified.) I'm using this as my ADS-B position source and it works perfectly, very accurate. Will make changes as necessary for 2020, seems crazy to have to go to a different company than Garmin for a GPS source.

Hello Spirko,

We agree.

We appreciate everyone's interest in considering available options, but we recommend that G3X customers needing a 2020 compliant position source consider waiting until more options are available before making a decision.

We are pretty sure you will be glad you did!

Thanks,
Steve

Perhaps publishing a roadmap would be beneficial, rather than saying it's coming. Uncertainty is a buzzkill.

Its now about "Performance"

Hey everyone,

First my disclosure statement: I work at FreeFlight Systems in Irving. As stated in my signature block, I was building a 7A, but the kit, Reserve Duty, and work took too much away from the family so I sold the kit and am now looking at completed projects.

The 1201 will interface with the GTX330 and it's variants without a problem and is certified to work with the -330 family as an ADS-B position source, so you are golden if you want to go that route.

With that said, there was a recent change in the Advisory Circular that changed the requirements of the WAAS GPS from a "certified" WAAS GPS to one that meets the performance standards specified in the TSO. This has created a bit of a sticking point in that how does the buyer know that a GPS truly meets the performance standards without a TSO. Answer: do you trust the manufacturer? I would say that if a reputable manufacturer of GPS says their GPS WAAS and meets the performance standards or they can point to a true pedigree of performance, then you are most likely good to go.

Now if some fly by night operation kicks out a GPS and declares it meets the standards, I would do some serious research to make sure I'm not sending my money down a black hole.

Ultimately, the FAA views this as they do everything else we install in our EAB aircraft. They have not certified it, they have not inspected it, so they cannot attest to it. Therefore, the responsibility falls back on the aircraft manufacturer/builder.

To your specific problem, I didn't catch the ADS-B system you are trying to hook to other than the Garmin G3X display, so I'm going to assume it's a Garmin 33 family transponder. If this is the case, I would hook your G3X GPS to the -330 transponder and save some cash. Once you are flying, there is a FAA website where you can request a compliance check. They will check the compliance monitor and send you an over detailed, complicated report that will tell you if you comply or not. Until 2020, this is truly a learning tool and no threat offering from the FAA. After 2020....:confused:

I hope this helps.

Mike

Back