What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Full Inverted Pocket System

BruceEicher

Well Known Member
Flying my RV-8 for a little more than two years, 250 hours, and with a good mix of missions has given me a chance to think of what little additions might make my plane somewhat better. The tandem seated RV's aren't known for a lot of extra cockpit space, though don't get me wrong, I love my 8 and find it very comfortable. I try to keep the "carry-on luggage" to a minimum while keeping the things I might need handy. So with a couple of good flying seasons behind me I found myself tweaking on my creature comfort while waiting out some winter storms.

Here's my solution to make the most of the small nooks and crannies found in most any plane.
dfap0i.jpg

Nylon netting stitched to light aluminum frame to fully in-close cockpit sections keeps items in place during unusual attitudes. Zippered outer pockets hold all the small items you might need but don't want floating around in zero G's.
2isiag5.jpg

I made an aircraft parts acquisition thru Amazon; key objective was lite and functional, cheap is good too.

Zippers, Plenty for many.

Netting, One of these provides enough.

Zippered bags. I used two small and one medium, YMMV

Aluminum skin stiffener L stock is used to make a four sided frame. (Typical flap motor cover mod was already in place.) The frames are attached with a combination of screws and blind rivets where you see the #30 clecos.
24exhl5.jpg

I drilled the back side of the L stock every 1/4" to receive the net stitching before riveting. The frames are shaped as needed to tuck into fuselage framing with gaps less than a 1/4". You should fit the frame a little loose because the stitching cord will take some space, 1/16-1/8" will do.
2j1wj1t.jpg

Cut the netting and zipper oversized, sew on the zipper and then the bag just below. The bag is stitched thru the open zipper and at the bottom. Yes, I did this myself, but fair warning; this sort of activity can have a "cold swim effect".
25sa3vk.jpg

Round lacing cord was used to stitch the pockets to the frame, then the excess material and zipper was cut off. The stitching also locks the zipper at each end.
20qyr29.jpg

I made three pocket assemblies giving my GIB and I plenty of storage. Total weight 14 ounces.
dr5jec.jpg

My headset jacks are mounted on each left arm rest, so this puts the plugs, battery/control packs and extra cord tucked safely into the zippered net.
20m7f5.jpg

PHP:
[QUOTE]With the left over netting I made a 2 ounce stick boot secured with Velcro, more sewing fun. The air vent blows and adjusts through the netting, no need to cut out around it.[/QUOTE]

Bruce,

Thank you for sharing. Great ideas.

Charlie

Back