What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sharpening drill bits

I'm getting to the point where I need to restock on drill bits. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to buy a bit sharpener. I've heard that it's not worth sharpening small bits but what about larger ones? Drill bits aren't terribly expensive but I hate it when I need to drill a certain size and the only bit I have in that size is dull.

I have a Drill Doctor and it works pretty well on bits larger than 1/8". The smaller drills work better when sharpened by hand on a fine grinding wheel. Just be careful to keep the point centered.

I bought a Drill Doctor bit sharpener several years ago, but not to save money. Rather, I can always be assured of having a sharp #40 or #30 drill bit. I don't know of any place locally to get individual numbered size bits, and shipping times put too much of a delay on things.

I've been pretty happy with the unit and would probably buy it again.

Try a few test holes

I used work in a machine shop and had to sharpen my own drills in the shop with a grinder and a drill guage. Now I buy new sharp ones :D

Mel's right, if the point is not centered you'll get an oversize hole. After sharpening, drill a couple of test holes in some scrap and check the dia. If its correct and the drill 'feels right' - cuts easily and cleanly, you're good to go.

The drill doctor self centers and is pretty much idiot proof. I was refering to hand sharpening about keeping the point centered.

I read an interesting technique for this in Ron Wanttaja's book on building homebuilts, paraphrased as follows (don't have it in front of me)...

Hold the bit loosely in your dominant hand, with the tip of the bit near the ends of your fingers. Raise your arm, and with a sweeping motion, toss the bit in the nearest garbage bin and get a new one.

Had a chuckle over that. :)

Try here: http://www.yardstore.com/ for low cost high quality Cobalt Split Point drill bits. I ordered 15 each of the most popular used sizes..#30 & #40. When I get down to a few sharp ones left. i'll order more. I also have the deluxe $$$ model Drill Doctor. I won't use it on these small drills for reasons stated. I can eyeball on the grinder better than it sharpens a small drill and that still ain't good enough for proper size drilled holes.

java said:
I read an interesting technique for this in Ron Wanttaja's book on building homebuilts, paraphrased as follows (don't have it in front of me)...

Hold the bit loosely in your dominant hand, with the tip of the bit near the ends of your fingers. Raise your arm, and with a sweeping motion, toss the bit in the nearest garbage bin and get a new one.

Had a chuckle over that. :)

I love it!!

I've got a zillion dull bits and have been wondering what to do with them. :)

dd

Drill Dr. User

Well I use my drill doc when ever the bits start to seem dull. The trick is getting the alignment correct in the bit holder. If you over tighten it the fins will tip slightly. If you don't get the flutes in the correct position you can get a bit with the flats angled the wrong way (gee how do I know that? :rolleyes: ) If you do, just re-chuck it and re-sharpen. I can't tell you the number of times I resharpened my bits because they were getting dull. There's a lot of rivets in these RV's!

pczar3
Paul Czarapata
-6A
N694BP Reserved

Back