What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Florida's April Weather

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
We were planning to fly down to Crystal River, on to Clearwater and then down to the Keys making it a two week holiday. Trouble is April seams to be a bad time of year to keep a plane outside in Florida. I would love to get some local information to see what your thoughts are. We can plan flying around the bad weather during tornado season to get there, but when its parked outside and something is coming! :eek: Not much I can do. Have I read to much off the internet! Lol.

Wonder if we should just scrub the idea and maybe go right after Hurricane season. No idea what the best plan is. The SW is much less stressful with a plane outside.

Any comments would be a great help in our decision making.

Thanks

April is one of the most beautiful months of the year in Florida. There will be real weather 3 or 4 days during the month; you may want to pay for transient hangar space during those days.

April can be a breezy month but not a problem with keeping a plane outside. We get build-ups during the summer days every day but this has not started by April. April is not hot and humid yet (at least by our standards) so a perfect time to visit. Our Hurricane season is June through December. I do plenty of flying during that time of year anyway.

I agree with the others, Troy. Too much internet reading. <s> April is usually full of good weather and, while occasional convection might occur some afternoons, it's safer than a winter front IMO.

Why not consider folding in a visit to Blackwater Airfield 8FD3 on your way down? I just posted the RAF anniversary celebration info over in the North Florida section. It's a very special place, great airfield, hot/cold showers a short walk, and a good group of Rangers and pilots to enjoy meeting. The dates are April 10-12. You can also visit any other time, coming or going, altho' you'll have to obtain your own Use Permit, which is free and very simple.

To learn more about the field and the Blackwater River State Forest, go here:
http://theraf.org/content/blackwater-airfield-safety-briefing

Come on down!

Jack

Thanks for all the replies. We are definitely going down in April. No specific dates, just plan to follow the big H down on the weather map for a nice relaxing trip down. We will deal with pounding fronts on the way back.

Jack I will PM you if the timing works for the fly in.

Thanks

Back