What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Setting the bar for Experimental ADS-B

comfortcat

Well Known Member
Greetings All!

Let's stir the ADS-B pot a bit and set the target price point for full ADS-B to under $2,000 for ANY experimental who can fly in all VFR airspace today.

I have a pretty simple panel, with:

Dynon Skyview w/ GPS
2 Com radios
VOR/LOC/GS/MB NAV
Mode C transponder KT76x

To be:
1. Fully 2020 compliant with ADS-B out
2. Take advantage of ADS-B In for traffic and weather

NavWorx has:
============
ADS600-EXP
TRANSMONSPE to work with my current transponder
Add $90 for Dual receiver (Required? not really but a cost effective add-on)
GPS antenna
UAT antenna

So setting the bar at $1100.00 - $1500.00 to be fully compliant for (1) above.

Then, other than NavWorx we need to add:

Tablet
Software

If you add another $200-$500 to be fully ADS-B legal AND take advantage of the extra safety offered by the ADS-B system.

Does any other vendor come close to that? Is this the number Experimentals will shoot for in the next 5 years?

Since ADS-B is actually a tax on GA so the FAA can remove expensive radar, I believe a $999 price point with federal rebates for ALL GA aircraft would be fair.

(Open fire!)

CC
:eek:

Has anyone seen a picture, spec sheet or installation of the control interface module called a "transmonspe" that NavWorks says will attach to the mode C antenna lead and feed the ADBS exp unit.

Yea, it's looks like a USB stick that is "attached" to the outside of the xpdr cable and connected with a USB cable to the ADS-B box.

From the manual:
The TransMonSPE (Transponder Monitor Single Point of Entry – patent pending) is a standalone device that monitors transponder transmissions through a shielded RF coupler connection to an aircraft’s transponder antenna coax cable. The TransMonSPE is attached to the existing transponder antenna coax cable of an older-style MODE C transponder to pick up the Reply, Mode, and other information, decode it and transmit it digitally for use by an ADS600-B UAT.

Has anyone seen a picture, spec sheet or installation of the control interface module called a "transmonspe" that NavWorks says will attach to the mode C antenna lead and feed the ADBS exp unit.

I just bought 2 of these. Go to their website and start to order one by adding it to your cart. As soon as you click the circle to add the transmonspe it brings up a pic of the transmonspe for you to view.

316.JPG

Tablet and software more?

I'm not an Apple guy.

What is the price of an Apple tablet and software for fully utilizing the ADS-B In information? Does it have to be the top of the line unit?

I assume that a 5" unit is as small as you can go and still be useful.

Would an iPhone be able to watch traffic and wx?

CC

A 7" screen is probably about the smallest to be really useful in the cockpit for viewing navigation charts overlayed with traffic and weather from an ADS-B receiving device.

I'm not really an Apple guy so I can't really help you much on iPad equipment and software choices. I do know that whatever tablet and software you decide on needs to be well researched to ensure it is supported by whatever ADS-B receiver you buy... there seems to be an awful lot of vendor specific proprietary stuff out there and an absence of true open standards.

Apple IPad thoughts

I cannot speak to the Garmin PilotPro app on the Apple platform but I do use the Foreflight Pro app with an iPad Air and a friend's Stratus II. The ADS-B in information is great and the Wx also. My one recommendation is to get an iPad with at least 32 gig of memory (64 gig better). These aviation EFB apps take a lot of memory to store data but they seriously beat paper and with the Garmin's ability to transfer flight planning data from the app to the G3X via wifi they are the way to go.

I have a 16 gig iPad and it definitely needs more memory. You cannot add memory with a SIM card on the Apple so therefore what you buy is what you got. I also have a Nexus 7 and really loved that tablet until I got the iPad. The apple product is just so so much better. If you can afford the G3X why debate it. Just get one.

Apple IPad thoughts

I cannot speak to the Garmin PilotPro app on the Apple platform but I do use the Foreflight Pro app with an iPad Air and a friend's Stratus II. The ADS-B in information is great and the Wx also. My one recommendation is to get an iPad with at least 32 gig of memory (64 gig better). These aviation EFB apps take a lot of memory to store data but they seriously beat paper and with the Garmin's ability to transfer flight planning data from the app to the G3X via wifi they are the way to go.

I have a 16 gig iPad and it definitely needs more memory. You cannot add memory with a SIM card on the Apple so therefore what you buy is what you got. I also have a Nexus 7 and really loved that tablet until I got the iPad. The apple product is just so so much better. If you can afford the G3X why debate it. Just get one.

OTOH....
I use WingX and it uses a lot of data compression, fits easily on a 16 GB platform.
I prefer the iPad mini 2, for its size, over the iPad.

Whatever system we come up with has to be OS-agnostic. Apple and Android devices must be supported! :)

OTOH....
I use WingX and it uses a lot of data compression, fits easily on a 16 GB platform.
I prefer the iPad mini 2, for its size, over the iPad.

And WingX supports a large variety of ADSB solutions, where as most of it's competitors options are very limited.

Back