What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Behind the ADS-B 8ball...

Tram

Well Known Member
Ok, so I'm starting to feel like I'm behind the curve in getting prepared for this..

I'm currently fly a standard IFR 6 pack. Had a D100 but one house fire later, I'm still flying the 6 pack..

Looks like 2020 is going to cost me quite a bit..

Starting with the IFR certified GPS. I do very little IFR in the RV, but it is what it is apparently.

I haven't done much research, and this is the beginning of it, is there a certified IFR GPS that is worth looking at over the 430 series?

You do not need an ifr capable gps. It does have to meet certain standards but having an ifr database is not one of them. Walt recently offered a complete system (minus antennas) for $3.3K or so.

You do not need an ifr capable gps. It does have to meet certain standards but having an ifr database is not one of them. Walt recently offered a complete system (minus antennas) for $3.3K or so.

Ok, then I'm also behind the 8-ball and confused. I thought an IFR certified GPS was required.

We've just gotten our 6 back after a year in MX, so I'm a bit out of the loop on a lot of things and am just starting to contemplate replacing the EFIS I lost in the fire from a couple years ago.

Just trying to line the ducks up, or at least get the mother duck and worry about the hatchlings later.. ;)

Well you've got 5 years, no rush. The whole ADSB equipment thing is in a state of flux and confusion. Avionics guys say buy now, others say wait.

Well you've got 5 years, no rush. The whole ADSB equipment thing is in a state of flux and confusion. Avionics guys say buy now, others say wait.

Yeh, I think waiting is the smarter choice.

This time 5 years ago I was using an iPhone 3GS.. ;)

I'll just start a kitty and add to it. Hopefully as the deadline draws near, something good will happen for us.

I'm wondering - would the Garmin GDL 39 coupled to an iPad running Garmin Pilot get the WAAS box checked?

Yeh, I think waiting is the smarter choice.

This time 5 years ago I was using an iPhone 3GS.. ;)

I'll just start a kitty and add to it. Hopefully as the deadline draws near, something good will happen for us.

I'm wondering - would the Garmin GDL 39 coupled to an iPad running Garmin Pilot get the WAAS box checked?

GDL 39 is a receiver (ADSB-in). ADSB-in has good information but is optional.
ADSB-out is required. Two parts: a transmitter (either a UAT on 978 MHz or a mode S-ES transponder on 1090 MHz) and a position source (Waas GPS with a lot of tough specifications). No way an ipad gps fits the bill.

Actually it did include both antennas (GPS and UAT) in the kit :D

Portable

I am hoping for a portable solution. Or I may have to move out from under the Dallas Fort Forth, DFW, veil

I am hoping for a portable solution. Or I may have to move out from under the Dallas Fort Forth, DFW, veil

Cynically, i'd say you might want to plan the move for 2020. Several other threads here have discussed portables. The rule specifies "installed" , and several of the performance requirements are based on installed system performance. In FAA parlayence installed equipment doesn't include portables. There seems little movement to change the rule.

Back