What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What wood prop should I get?

RV4er

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I need to order a prop for my RV-4. It has a 160 hp O-320-A1B installed. Because of a dough shortage I realy need to go with a wood prop. Any suggestions?

Tim :cool:

Hi Tim,

I have a 160 hp RV-4 and put an Aymar Demuth prop on it about 90 hours ago. I wanted more cruise than climb and Mike Demuth fixed me up quite nicely I think. I cruise between 150 to 156 knots and still climb @ 2,000 fpm. I usually fly by myself w/luggage.

There are other good prop makers; but I am certainly pleased with this prop. Cost was about $1,100.

Best of luck.

Deal Fair
N34CB flying

Tim,

I am using an Ed Sterba prop on my 160hp O320 RV9. I am very happy with its looks and performance. Cost was around $600. Just don't be in a hurry when you order it. Took at least 2 mos to get mine.

tim

i've had great luck with catto props. he will make it the way you want. the finish on the prop looks like metal. takes about 2 months and around 1100.00

danny
rv-4
n2275s

Hi Tim,

A friend of mine has a Performane Prop on his 160hp -4. It is a 3 blade wood prop that is just about the best compromise in a fixed pitch prop. He turns about 2400rpms on takeoff and can redline the engine in cruise (2700rpms).

It is very smmmooooooth! After flying it with him for a while, I flew a -4 with a metal prop and almost soiled my pants :eek: ...felt like it was shaking itself apart!

It is a little more expensive, about $2100 for the 3 blade and $1300 for a 2 blade. They will paint the prop or leave it in the natural wood finish. I am still building my -4, and I plan on using one of their props. Give them a call at 520-394-2059.

Bryan

Catto Prop

dan carley said:
tim

i've had great luck with catto props. he will make it the way you want. the finish on the prop looks like metal. takes about 2 months and around 1100.00

danny
rv-4
n2275s

Hi! Dan!

Just curious....when did you order the Catto?
I ordered mine July 2005 and haven't gotten it yet.
Craig is a super guy. When I ordered he said he had a backlog of, I think, 60 props, most for RV's.
He said he was giving priority to the guys that absolutely had to have it now!
So, I don't think the 2 months is valid anymore.

Roy
Jax, Fl
RV8QB
AEIO-390
wiring

roy

i purchased my catto prop over a year ago, took about 2 months. i guess greig is getting too well known. he is a great guy single parent so he's busy. if you can wait for his prop i'm sure you'll be happy with it

danny
rv-4
n2275s

Tim,,,,

,,,,,take a look at Props Inc....

http://www.propsinc.net/prod01.htm

....have been flyin one for over ten years now...very satisfied...I have an O320 RV4...at 2500rpm, I am doin bout 180+ mph...past experience as shown that side by side with a RV6 and a RV4 each with O320's and Hartzell's, they were at 24squared, and I was at 2400rpm matchin them for speed...as to climb, each of the pilots of the respective airplanes were surprised to see me remain with them followin takeoffs, once out of Truckee, CA, up in the Sierras and once out of the CA valley...and in the pic on the website, take a look at the number of laminations of this prop vs. the usual five or six....

Sincerely,
Chris
RV4 kit#26

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for all your responses. At least I now know were to start looking.

Tim

Buzz said:
Tim,,,,

,,,,,take a look at Props Inc....

http://www.propsinc.net/prod01.htm

....have been flyin one for over ten years now...very satisfied...I have an O320 RV4...at 2500rpm, I am doin bout 180+ mph...past experience as shown that side by side with a RV6 and a RV4 each with O320's and Hartzell's, they were at 24squared, and I was at 2400rpm matchin them for speed...as to climb, each of the pilots of the respective airplanes were surprised to see me remain with them followin takeoffs, once out of Truckee, CA, up in the Sierras and once out of the CA valley...and in the pic on the website, take a look at the number of laminations of this prop vs. the usual five or six....

Sincerely,
Chris
RV4 kit#26

Chris, what rpm are you turning on takeoff?

BryanArd,,,,just this evenin, showed 2250/2275 rpm on the tack as I was takin off,,,,temp was bout 65F and field elevation is 1700ft...Chris

Prince Prop worth a look

I've flown a Prince Prop in a RV-3. It's a sweet thing, its built to flex flat pitch in takeoff and climb and then return to course pitch in cruise when there is less "pull". It has the curled or bent tips also to improve performance. I liked it.
Kel

I've tried them all...

If you are a true budget RV4 dude, call Ed Sterba, his props are the cheapest out there and work good. I ran one for 5 years. It's still flying on an RV4...
Craig Catto's are the best overall, I now run an MT 2 blade which is the best utility and matches the Catto performance. Good Luck...

Rob Ray

RV4er said:
Hello all,

I need to order a prop for my RV-4. It has a 160 hp O-320-A1B installed. Because of a dough shortage I realy need to go with a wood prop. Any suggestions?

Tim :cool:
I have a performance prop that came off my rv4 as im going to fit a Hartzel CS its the old style spinner and 4" extension. 68 x 70 prop? Make me an offer!!!!! its done less than 200 hours and it was on a 0-320 its like new

Regards

James

Hi there!
If you (or others) would like to got with constant speed but have no chance to get one on your engine (mechanical or $ reasons) check this out:
V-Prop Germany
They will have one for RV's soon.
Cheers, Dirk

MT 2-blade ...

We ran an Ed Sterba for over 700 hours. Fine prop. Fine person to work with.
Wanted to go to CS (formation + rain) but could not.

Now running MT 2-blade. Performs as "advertised" and can stand the rain. Priced like Sensenich metal but weight about same as Sterba wood so no W&B changes.

James

I just bought a Performance Propeller from Clark & Judy. First off it's a beautiful prop. It already performs much better than my Amar Demuth prop ever did. I had emailed Demuth to find out about repairing it but never got a reply.

Anyway, Clark listened very carefully to what I wanted and is very knowledgeable about props. When you buy one of his he pitches it a bit strong. Then when you get the prop and fly it you record your numbers such as static RPM, take off RPM, RPM at different altitudes and true air speeds as well as climb rate, OT etc. Then you talk to him and together you decide what adjustments you need. Then you send the prop back to him and he makes those adjustments and puts the final finish on it. This is all included in the quoted price of the prop which form my RV-4 is just over $1300.

He told me that his prop is not a constant speed prop but they refer to it as a quasi constant speed. As it's RPM increases when you level out, there is enough flex that it changes approximately 1/2 degree which he told me is approximately equivelent to about 6 inches.

Also, the Demuth prop is refered to as a plank propeller which mine had about 5 layers that were about 3/4 inch thick. My new Performance prop has almost 70 layers and empregnated with water proof glue on each side. Clark also lays in a rain proof leading edge. The prop runs very smooth and so far I'm very impressed.

I have a performance prop that came off my rv4 as im going to fit a Hartzel CS its the old style spinner and 4" extension. 68 x 70 prop? Make me an offer!!!!! its done less than 200 hours and it was on a 0-320 its like new

Regards

James

James,
Hi, I just purchased a rv3 with the 150 HP but no propeller, could you give me more info on your prop so I could see if it would fit.
Thanks ! Sincerely: russwagner

Back