What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GSA 28 Roll servo - retrofit

maus92

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to install the roll servo into my RV-8A. This is a flying aircraft that previously had a Dynon Skyview servo installed by the previous owner. I've removed the SV servo, but I'm wondering if anyone else has changed out their SV servos with the Garmins, and what if any mechanical issues that they may have encountered, specifically, access problems and the ability to use the existing Dynon mounts....

Thanks!

I haven't replaced a SV with a GSA, but if you have both of them in your hand, you can compare them pretty easily - if the bolt holes lien up and the depth is the same - mechanically, you're good.

Hello maus92,

In addition to what Paul said, please refer to page 12-12 of the Rev. P G3X Installation Manual which discusses installing the GSA28 servo into non-Garmin servo mounts.

The main 4 bolt hole pattern is pretty standard, but there are some additional considerations when using these mounts.

Thanks,
Steve

Not SV but TT.

I had to remove the Trutrak servo brackets and grind / sand / smooth the curved recess to accept the Garmin servos. It was not difficult but definitely required.

The bigger challenge was getting the correct geometry to insure no over-center conditions. My roll servo is under the pilot seat and I had to use the Garmin servo outer-most hole to make it all work.

Not SV but TT.

I had to remove the Trutrak servo brackets and grind / sand / smooth the curved recess to accept the Garmin servos. It was not difficult but definitely required.

The bigger challenge was getting the correct geometry to insure no over-center conditions. My roll servo is under the pilot seat and I had to use the Garmin servo outer-most hole to make it all work.

Thanks!

I had to grind the SV pitch bracket to clear the bushing on the GSA 28. Luckily, I was able to accomplish this with the bracket still installed which made it pretty painless. I am wondering if I am going to have to do the same with the roll bracket (which is in the right wing.) It sounds like I'm going to have to remove the bracket and do something similar, but I'm hoping to hear from somebody's who has already gone through the drill.

Last edited:
Back