What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nosewheel preferred today ...

dypen

Are there any statistics showing how many Van's RV- with nosewheel vs tailwheel out there? On my web search for RV- info I think many prefer nosewheel today, or am I wrong?

The "normal" way to remove the new style fairing is with the brackets still attached to the fairing... or did the beach landing remove it for you :D

The "normal" way to remove the new style fairing is with the brackets still attached to the fairing... or did the beach landing remove it for you :D

Ha! Didn't know that thanks Walt. Learning something every day :)

Ya I learned that the hard way before I even flew my airplane. I had been putting it on and off by stretching it around the bracket and accidentally cracked the wheel pant. After the repair I've never done it that way again. It is way easier just to pull the allen head bolt and slide it back. What was I thinking? :eek:

For nosewheel or tail wheel, a tip for parking on beach sand. Carry three square pieces of plywood with you and get the tires on top of them immediately after landing. That way it is no problem to get started taxiing off the pieces of plywood. The plywood pieces increase the "footprint" area many times over and prevent the tires from sinking in.

I used to take them with me to Copalis Beach in Washington State and several times they were needed by other people that did not know the trick. I admit it is needed more for nose draggers than tail wheel aircraft. I was flying a 1959 C182 back in those days and most of my flying friends had 180s and 185s.

Of course, you want to make sure you are landing on truly wet sand with an outgoing tide. On an incoming tide the sand can look wet and firm yet be dry and soft just under the surface.

Randall in Sedona

For nosewheel or tail wheel, a tip for parking on beach sand. Carry three square pieces of plywood with you and get the tires on top of them immediately after landing. That way it is no problem to get started taxiing off the pieces of plywood. The plywood pieces increase the "footprint" area many times over and prevent the tires from sinking in.
That trick is also useful at OSH and SnF! Just in case of torrential downpours!

thread drift - parking tip

Plywood is nice, but I've found sheet aluminum takes up much less space in the luggage area, and is a common material around my airport, i.e. no additional cost.

The AL also does not splinter, or swell/ delaminate when wet.

(Back to the nose-tail discussion.)

If using plywood, what would be the minimum thickness required?

Bevan
I think my pads are 3/8". Make two sets, just to have a spare. I have never put one under the tailwheel, but it might be good to do that too.

Back to the OP's question, I did a poll back in 2012, which is not very long ago, and asked several questions. I was asking who built a NW vs. TW, whether they liked their choice, and for those that did not, have they converted or would they like to convert. The results were that the fleet is currently 50% NW, 50% TW and if everyone had what they wanted the fleet would be 40% NW and 60% TW. HTH.

Tim

Back