What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

M800 or GT50 clock

drmax

Well Known Member
Anyone have any experience with either the Davtron M800 or Flight Data Systems GT50 clock? My Astro Tech LC2 is not functioning properly anymore and looking at either of these 2 clocks. Just needing it for the timer only. Thx, DM

I have the FDS GT50 in my RV-10 panel and like it very much.
Curious if the backlighting is ok, being that it is not adjustable? So yours is battery backup, then ships powered when avionics bus alive? I'd prefer the night vision green of the davtron, but not sure it's worth the additional $100. That and it would have adjustable dimming. Thx

I have the Davtron 803 clock/OAT combo in my Warrior. I had installed last year and it has been great. You can configure it to start timing by pulling one pin to ground with a squat switch or other input. It has dual Zulu/local clocks, a flight timer, an elapsed timer, and can display OAT in C or F as well as bus voltage. I would recommend it if you need those functions.

I have the Davtron 803 clock/OAT combo in my Warrior. I had installed last year and it has been great. You can configure it to start timing by pulling one pin to ground with a squat switch or other input. It has dual Zulu/local clocks, a flight timer, an elapsed timer, and can display OAT in C or F as well as bus voltage. I would recommend it if you need those functions.
yours the green night vision backlighting? I just need something easily readable especially at night. Must be a good/easy timer as I'm starting my ifr training. Those are my needs. My EFis carries all the other functions so really after the timer.

Last edited:
I've had both, and indeed both are fine units...but now I tend to sell and recommend the FDS unit just because those folks are good RV supporting folks and we like them (I guess we like Davtron just fine too, and we sell/install a few of them, but the majority of clocks we sell are the GT-50's)!

Cheers,
Stein

yours the green night vision backlighting? I just need something easily readable especially at night. Must be a good/easy timer as I'm starting my ifr training. Those are my needs. My EFis carries all the other functions so really after the timer.

Wow, sorry I didn't see this when you posted it...the "new posts" functionality doesn't always show the new posts for me the way I expect. To your question: no, I did not spring for the night vision. It is lit amber, I believe. The timer is easy to run, but I would definitely recommend a different unit for IFR. I use the ASA timer with the dial set for my instrument training--it makes it very easy to set and reset times for approaches. I wouldn't really want to use the Davtron for that purpose unless I had nothing else.

Back