What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nexus7 and trio autopilot

spaceman

I'm New Here
Has anyone figured out how to make a 2012 model of the nexus7 communicate properly with the trio autopilot system? Thanks....spaceman

I presumed he wants to use the tablet's gps to provide gps info to the Trio.
And no, I do not know how to export that from the tablet.

I would call the folks at Trio. They will answer the phone and should have some suggestions.

If the app you are running on the Nexus will output NMEA via bluetooth it should be possible. You would need a bluetooth to RS232 adapter.

I know on the Avare Google group this has been discussed and some report having done it successfully.

The challenge is more thank just the GPS location sentences. You will need a navigation app which transmits the necessary NMEA sentences corresponding to track.

I'm not aware of any Android apps with that capability.

You can have a simple - if not basic - solution for about $50.

click to read the whole story

Last edited:
The challenge is more thank just the GPS location sentences. You will need a navigation app which transmits the necessary NMEA sentences corresponding to track.

I'm not aware of any Android apps with that capability.
CapFlyer's link to the Naviator manual suggests that they do use Naviator to drive Trio autopilots, so wouldn't the track be included in their NMEA 0183 stream?

Unfortunately Naviator doesn't offer coverage for Canada (last I checked) so is a non-starter for me...

Unfortunately Naviator doesn't offer coverage for Canada (last I checked) so is a non-starter for me...

Bob, I believe Naviator covers Canada and worldwide. The developer is located in Canada. You can also import your own charts into the app. Perhaps take another look through the features if it has been a while?

Back