What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip lens and fiberglassing

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
Hi all
I have installed the wing tip lens and they have turned out very nice. However, there are some places where I'd like to add a little micro to build the tips up to match the lens. Can I cover the lens with cling wrap(the plastic film used to cover food etc.) to protect it from the micro?
Thanks

Hi all
I have installed the wing tip lens and they have turned out very nice. However, there are some places where I'd like to add a little micro to build the tips up to match the lens. Can I cover the lens with cling wrap(the plastic film used to cover food etc.) to protect it from the micro?
Thanks

Electrical tape works well as a release agent and sanding guide. With a couple of different colored layers, you sand until you see the first layer, then stop,

I taped the edges of mine, and used super-fil, cut a line in the edge with a razor while it's still wet. Then sand down until you can pop them out.

I don't recommend doing it this way (it was more effort than worth and I broke a lens popping it out). I would use a sharpie to mark where you want to build it up, take the lens off, tape the edges, put your filler down, reinstall the lens once dry, sand down to even.

Personally if you're happy with the fit, I wouldn't sweat a fingernail height difference. The effort IMO opinion is better spent building on. It's one of those finishing things you can do later after its flying and you've gotten really good at working with glass on the big stuff. YMMV.

Hi all
Thanks

Use a bit of grease/car wax/whatever on the lens as a parting agent and it'll pop right out. I used regular car paste wax on mine, and it came out awesome:

9681034201_8f52376fbe.jpg

brad, that looks like the old style wing tip. where did you get your lenses. I cracked one of mine and the place I got mine doesn't stock them anymore and that one looks like it would work for a replacement.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back