What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual flap handle

szicree

Well Known Member
I'm a bit confused about how my manual flaps are supposed to work. I built the handle and stops on the seat back per the plans, but I don't see where the handle resides when the flaps are up. Does it sit flat on the floor? If so, then it would be free to move up a bit before it hits the lowest stop. I'm sure it's real obvious, but not to me.

Steve Zicree

Put it on the floor

The bottom most stop and the flap handle need to meet when the flap lever is completely down. I bevelled the top of the flap handle and the bottom of the first stop a bit so the flap handle could not slip out. I left just enough wiggle room below the flap handle to push it down out of the "catch" made by the bevels. But yes, it rests almost all the way down on the floor when the flaps are retracted.

This is also a good reason to build footwells into the floor in this location. More comfort for the passenger. Easier to grab the handle when there's a foot there.

svanarts said:
The bottom most stop and the flap handle need to meet when the flap lever is completely down. I bevelled the top of the flap handle and the bottom of the first stop a bit so the flap handle could not slip out. I left just enough wiggle room below the flap handle to push it down out of the "catch" made by the bevels. But yes, it rests almost all the way down on the floor when the flaps are retracted.

This is also a good reason to build footwells into the floor in this location. More comfort for the passenger. Easier to grab the handle when there's a foot there.

Aye, bevel those detents. I had the flaps bumping off at the darnedest times! Then I bevelled the 'notches and the handle just a little--- fixed.

Back