What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing root fairing

Glenn Frels

I'm New Here
Sorry, my first post. Needed to add title. We are looking for a source for wing root fairing for our RV7. Getting close to flying and don't want to build them. Thanks

They come in the finish kit

Didn't you get 'em from Van's in the finish kit? They're just simple aluminum wrap-arounds with a rubber edge strip. Trivial to trim and install. If Van thought there was significant performance to gain by going with a true "fairing" he would have made 'em, don't you think?

If I recall, some older RV models had fiberglass fairings there, but then Van switched to using the simple aluminum+rubber approach. Wonder why...

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Root fairing - Metal=Simple, neat, light and faster

A fiberglass wing root fillet fairing will require more holes, including holes in the side of the fuselage above the wing. The simple stock wrap around wing root fairing is quicker to build and gives a neat installation.

You would think a fillet root fairing would help, being "swoopy" or aerodynamic. The design of a root fairing is very special topic in "Interference drag", and my guess is an effective root fairing would be much large and extend well aft to do anything. What little gain there is to be had (1 mph?), if any, even with a perfect fairing, could be negated by the additional drag from installation fit and finish. The fiberglass flange / lip between the fairing and fuselage, fiberglass being thicker than sheet metal, may hurt you from a drag and a visual stand point, if there is any fit problem. Long flat fiberglass edges tend to warp overtime between attachments becoming ugly and more draggy. :eek:

The simple stock wing root fairing are faster than fiberglass fairings tried before. Tracy Saylor tried a fiberglass fairing on his very fast RV-6 (first place Sun-N-Fun 100, 100hp RV class). After installing the fiberglass root fairing, he lost speed and returned to the simple wrap around fairing. If anyone can get speed out of a mod or install a fairing well, Tracy can. So that was all I needed to hear. He is not the only one who has noted a loss in speed with fillet root fairings.

If you do want a fillet fairing, do it for looks only, but I like the looks of the stock fairing way better. The simple metal wrap around/rubber seal fairing: looks clean, light, last a long time (durable) and installation requires less holes in the fuselage (just one or two on the bottom aft end).

Since you will want to remove the root fairing, you will need screws and nut plates. To make a fiberglass thick enough for screws will make it thicker and more obvious. You may need it thicker still to avoid future warping. The flat aluminum fairing is real simple, durable and has neat visual appearance. :D

Cheers George

Last edited:
I am working on my recently purchased RV4 finishing kit and see that it has glass root fairings. Is the aluminum type not used on the 4? I prefer the looks and simplicity of the metal type so why did Van stick me with this plastic deal??

I have to agree with Gmcjetpilot's views. I can't remember where at this moment I have seen it before nor the details but it was found that the simple 90 degree angle between the wing and fuselage was actually a less drag fairing intersection than some of the sculpted ones seen. It is also simpler to make and install. It's always interesting when the basics seem to be the best way to do things. To each his own is what makes this stuff so cool.

Wing Angle

Kitplanes Magazine has an article in the April or May 2005 issue explaining advantages & disadvantages of fairings. Worth a read!
Derrell

Back